Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Any reason to get Sram over Shimano?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

The SRAM one looks like it should sell for under £100. Nothing special about it’s construction.

Apart from the significant expansion in the range….

sillyoldman

And reduction in life span?

njee20
    Free Member

Why is there a reduction in lifespan? It’s lighter than XTR, without the softer ti sprockets, so should last longer (unless you live in the alu 42t, in which case you bought the wrong chain ring). On what grounds should it be less than £100? 😕

My XX1 is doing far better than the XTR that preceded it.

RRP is pretty irrelevant too, who pays RRP?

Generally I’m a Shimano fan though, well impressed with the new XTR mech and shifters. Personal though at the end of the day.

sillyoldman

Cheap materials and a very straight forward construction. The X01 and XX1 cassettes use better materials and a really impressive construction technique. X1 is just an overpriced stamped cassette with cheap steel sprockets. My experience of other SRAM cassettes has been really poor in terms of performance and longevity, so doubt a similarly constructed 11 spd one will be any different.

RRP is relevant as it, erm, allows the comparison of prices (even if Sram’s aftermarket prices are vastly inflated). Many people do pay RRP, just not some people here.

beano68
    Free Member

Yes Doof Doof its looking that way, not really done much milage on the bike but having it fail after a short time is not good, I should find out today if they will be replaced under warranty but I want them both replaced and not just the one ! no confidence in sram at all now

njee20
    Free Member

X1 is just an overpriced stamped cassette with cheap steel sprockets

Which weighs less than XTR, which itself has a number of soft ti sprockets?

I remain confused.

Cheap stamped steel chainrings are praised for their longevity. If you can make a cassette out of them which weighs less than the competition it seems to me you’re onto a winner…

sillyoldman

If you can’t see why a cassette made of stamped steel sprockets (from a brand with a dubious durability track record) is overpriced compared to one piece machined blocks of steel from the same brand for not that much more, or a Carbon bodied cassette with Steel/Ti/Alu sprockets from an alternative brand, then frankly you must be on crack. 😉

They are overcharging as they have you over a barrel with the XD free hub. It’s the cheapest available compatible option, but it is far from good value.

Of course it’s durability isn’t yet known, but based on the wear rates for other cassettes from that brand – it doesn’t look good!

OP – No. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Any reason to get Sram over Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.