Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Any reason NOT to join a Gym
  • jimster01

Luckily for me we’ve had a gym open three doors from where I live, and whilst this seems excellent, and I have no excuses for going to the gym – do I really want to join?

Are there any real benefits to joining? At what point will I turn into a musclehead?

jimjam
    Free Member

do I really want to join?

It seems that you do. But unless you actually plan on going regularly it’s a waste of money.

Are there any real benefits to joining?

Ogling hotties while they work out in skin tight clothing springs to mind.

At what point will I turn into a musclehead?

When you’ve been lifting big heavy weights 2-3 times a week and taking on surplus calories for a few years.

scaled
    Free Member

Do you have a lot of free time?

If i went to a gym, it would have to come out of my riding time, **** that!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Most people at commercial gyms don’t seem to know why they’re there – just doing it because they think they should rather than want to. Exercise with no object in mind can’t be too enjoyable – it can be unpleasant enough with goals to achieve 🙂

sadexpunk

plenty of reasons not to join a gym. if youre into running or cycling id always rather run or cycle in the open air than run on a treadmill etc. no way would i pay to run or cycle indoors!!

if youre into weight training you may find it cheaper to buy your own equipment in the long run if you got the space.

i say that but ive got my own equipment yet i still go to the gym sometimes as its cheap and i can do some exercises there that i cant with my equipment.

not really helped you there have i 😀

JEngledow
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

if youre into running or cycling id always rather run or cycle in the open air than run on a treadmill etc. no way would i pay to run or cycle indoors!

Exactly this! Exercise should be fun, not just for it’s own sake. If you’re happy running going nowhere and lifting things up and putting them down again, lots of times… join up!

tonyd

Any reason NOT to join a Gym

DrJ

Ogling hotties while they work out in skin tight clothing springs to mind

This. Why did anyone ever go to a gym before the invention of Lycra?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Only join if you think you will get your moneys worth and by that I mean will go regularly. So many people sign up for a year but only remain keen for six weeks. Mine got busier in December when all the fatties wanted to lose a few pounds before Christmas, was packed out in January for new year shaping up and is now pretty much back to normal levels.

pondo

Joined so I can go swimming, I’ve been into the gym part of it once this year.

DezB
    Free Member

tonyd – Member
    Any reason NOT to join a Gym

There’s a Lemon Jelly re-issue? 😉

piemonster

If you do join a gym, do read the small print.

These gym long cancellation times and ‘contracts’ are utterly ridiculous.

I do use a gym, but it’s cheap and only one month is needed for cancelling membership and I get zero hassle for doing so.

And the trick with treadmills is to run to the gym.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is it one of the many established gym chains that don’t force you into a 12 month contract?
    If so why not just join and cancel it if you don’t like it.
    What’s good for one may not be good for another, etc.

I’ve been a gym member for about 2 years now and can’t imagine not frequenting one gym or another for any length of time.

willard

I joined a Crossfit gym because I prefer working in that environment to being on my own amongst a lot of people in a normal gym. I know the max class size is never going to exceed 10 people and that egos are generally left by the door.

People talk to and encourage each other rather than pretending no one else exists.

I still run and cycle for cardio though, all in the open air.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I joined a Crossfit gym cult because I prefer working in that environment to being on my own amongst a lot of people in a normal gym. I know the max class size is never going to exceed 10 people and that egos are generally left by the door.

They have you now.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

working away i have joined a few over the years for something ‘do of an evening. still never went after the first few weeks, even then i would just gym for a few mins then go sit in the sauna/steam n’that. its toss. and full of tossers.

i do enjoy a spin class tho, but wasnt worth £50 a month.

footflaps

I train in a Crossfit gym (but with a non Cross fit PT). Have to say, there a weird allure to the whole Crossfit cult, I can feel it drawing me in slowly…..

I even watched the 2014 Games documentary last night

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akcc6DphLIg[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

I met my wife at the gym.

Draw whatever conclusion you like from this.

isto
    Free Member

I go a couple of times a week as I find it something good to do (it doesn’t involve shopping) on my lunch breaks and because work pays for the membership. If I had to go in my own free time then I’d be lucky if I went a couple of times a year….it is not something I really enjoy.

I would say only join if you could really be bothered going and giving up a couple of hours of your time each week to the not so noble pursuit of flexing in front of a mirror. Grrrrr.

footflaps

The Earth is indeed flat.

to the not so noble pursuit of flexing in front of a mirror.

Decent gyms don’t have mirrors…

bails

I met my wife at the gym.

Go to the gym and meet Harry’s wife?

jimmy

Crossfit. Meh. Its circuits. I joined a gym to do their circuit classes and was happy doing so. Then they withdrew these free classes and replaced with a branded “*IT” class. ie, circuits. So now if I still want to do circuits I have to pay extra for the privilege. FFS.

I was spoiled by a small independent gym in Sheffield years ago who did and still do really excellent classes. Everything since has been ‘meh’ and becoming ever more about feeling part of a brand / cult.

Anyway, OP, try it and see. As you can tell, I like circuit classes for the incentive to get through 30-60mins of beasting myself to complement bike fitness. And likewise pilates.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you hate the gym as much as I do that would be a good reason not to join one. For me its a total waste of money. I have access to a free gym and I have used it once in 6 months.

isto
    Free Member

Decent gyms don’t have mirrors…

All gyms have mirrors…..and an old naked bloke in the changing rooms wearing only flip flops.

mogrim

plenty of reasons not to join a gym. if youre into running or cycling id always rather run or cycle in the open air than run on a treadmill etc. no way would i pay to run or cycle indoors!!

While I prefer running outside, the treadmill does have some advantages: the weather, it’s dark when I get up, it’s good for intervals/speed work… but most of all it’s next to work – I commute to the gym before the rush hour starts, get my run in before work, shower, and it’s done and dusted by 9am.

I do also use the weights, which I don’t have at home, and I used to go to classes although at my current office I don’t have time.

That said – there are a lot of people who turn up for a month or two, then disappear. We seem to be hitting the post-xmas / pre-easter peak at the moment, there’re lot more people in the gym at 7:30 than there were before xmas… but it won’t last. So OP I’d recommend giving it a go, it can definitely make a positive difference to your biking if you take it seriously, but make sure you’ve read the contract and know when to cancel (if need be).

And enjoy the hotties 8)

footflaps

All gyms have mirrors…..and an old naked bloke in the changing rooms wearing only flip flops.

To be fair, I don’t always remember the flip flops…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider

Urgh! Just had a flashback.

There was an old bloke at the gym who used to stand naked with one leg on a bench and blow dry his perineum whist chatting to anybody within ear shot.

I go swimming on a Saturday now. There’s a geriatric Chinese bloke who sits on the floor in the shower and gives his bollocks a good soaping. It is, however, much cheaper than the gym.

beej

I use our work gym to do Sufferfest videos at lunchtime. We’ve got Wattbikes so I can record the session on my garmin too and load into training peaks. I also use it for general strength/conditioning to support the bike training. I’ve been using the wattbikes rather than my turbo at home as there’s more too look at in the gym and it’s a nicer environment than the back of my garage. Damn hot though, and no airflow at the gym either.

Once the weather improves I’ll use it a whole lot less.

I only go because I’m working to a plan. If I didn’t have a plan I’d probably go occasionally and do random things with little motivation.

jools182
    Free Member

I go now and again

it’s incredibly boring, but sometimes a good option for getting some exercise in

jimster01

The gym is a local independent one, and atm there is no contract.and I’m really looking at it to compliment cycling.

So I guess it’s ticking all the boxes – Mrs has warned me about not going every night.

kayla1
    Free Member

It always amazes me the amount of people who drive to the gym 😆

Trail_rat +1 😀

edit- have a

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfkGFL1uHAc[/video]

as well.

piemonster

Just out of curiosity

How much are folk paying for the gym?

£16(might be £18) a month for unlimited mid-week use.

Rubber_Buccaneer

£36.50pm for the council leisure centre. Plenty of classes along with the gym, pool, etc. A bit low budget but does the job and I prefer spin to turbo sessions down the shed over the winter (yes I do a night ride every week but there is only so much mud I can handle)

footflaps

£40/hour but that includes a Coach for the session and exclusive use of relevant kit for the full hour. Seems a lot but I do way more this way and think it’s worth every penny.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

My only issue with gyms is the proliferation of bloody Les Mill’s classes.

jimster01

Membership will be £29.50

allthepies
    Free Member

I pay £18/month for all you can use gym access. Used to be £36/month until one of those “The Gym” places opened in town, my place then matched the new outfit’s lower price.

I go three times per week at lunchtime, beats sitting at my desk or wandering round town aimlessly.

Lycra-clad hottie coefficient is low mind you, clientele seems mainly to be OAPs.

sadexpunk

Just out of curiosity

How much are folk paying for the gym?

£16(might be £18) a month for unlimited mid-week use.

mine works out at £20 p/m unlimited access. i believe the branded jobbies can be £40+? one of my mates and his wife are both members of one and pay £80ish p/m!! their money i spose…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Any reason NOT to join a Gym’ is closed to new replies.