Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any reason not to get a pair of Specialized BG Comp MTB Shoes
  • Warrenpfo
    Free Member

As the title suggests I am going to purchase a pair of Specialized BG Comp MTB Shoes either the 09 or 10 ones and just wanted to make sure i was not doing a silly thing. I have not found much bad press about them. They will be my first SPD shoe.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

no reason i can think of 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

i'd try before buying like any mtb shoe. Some can be quite crammed in the toe box, others quite narrow fit. Remember you'll be using them in all weather so when trying them on wear a good thick pair of socks

RichPenny
    Free Member

I've got some, find them pretty good although only use them for the road. They are bigger than the Shimano shoes I have. If they still have the mesh toe box, you'll get cold toes in winter 😉

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I think they're great. Very comfortable, but I've got scrawny feet so try before you buy.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got a set of North Wave Lizards for less than half the price of a set of comps, so there's one reason.

They come up pretty good on the size front, I wear a UK10 shoe/trainer but would need a 45 in the comps, they're wider and have a much better toe box/protection area than the experts.

scaredypants

very "airy" as ^ they said – but waterproof socks are great for cold dry days (if you have room for them)

glenncampbell

I have 2 pairs – one pair are 6 years old and the other is 1 years old. Very reliable, comfy (am a size 46) but the old ones are wearing on the inner heel so I avoid these on long (6hrs+ rides, hence the new pair!). Along with XTR pedals they've been the most reliable things on my bikes for 10 years. Highly recommended.

Ti29er
    Free Member

My advice – as I have 2 pairs – is order 1 Euro size up as they tend to be a little narrow initially.

Overbooties in the winter.
    Lizard Skinz merino socks all year 'round.

Sorted!

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the good feedback look like i have nothing to loose as i have waterproof socks which i will take when i try them on.

brakes
    Free Member

I can't fault mine – worn them every day for a couple of years
    maybe I could fault the buckles which can catch on stuff – I ripped one off on a fence and the spring has broken on another, and they catch on overshoes
    but you can buy replacements

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

The 09 ones have the three velcro straps with no springs so maybe better if i look at them?

plop_pants
    Free Member

I bought a pair of 2010's and broke them after one ride. Well it was a cross race, I fell on a soft bit of grass and the ratchet strip got ripped off on one of the shoes. Where the ratchet strip is sewn into the flap over the front of the foot the plastic is very thin and flimsy (guess that's to make it easier to sew into the flap) All credit to Specialized who replaced them straight away, except this time I went for the experts. Just 3 velcro straps which fit nicely on top of the shoe and wont get caught so easily in a tumble. This is the only time I have ever had an issue with specialized shoes and I will continue to buy them, they are just sooo comfey!

nuke

Have a pair of last years Sport ones…excellent shoe and replaced my 8 year old pair of Spesh BG Sport shoes that finally wore out.

Tried the ratchet models but felt it just wasn't required with the 3 velcro fasteners…my older pair had 2 velcro fasteners and they did the job fine.

plop_pants
    Free Member

sorry, I mean the bit that holds the ratchet strip got ripped off.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Velcro straps are better, especially as some over booties can loosen the ratchet (always on my R shoe!) on occations.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Do you find they are a case of fit and forget and can i put them in the washing machine to clean or will they fall apart?

mefty
    Free Member

The only niggle I have with mine is the ratchet as it sticks, which it seems will not be an issue on the new ones. Otherwise very happy with them.

rents
    Free Member

only problem i have found with my spesh comp shoes is the little phillips head screw that holds the top strap on, on the inside of the shoes eats crank arms quickly! my feet float alot meaning all my cranks have big grooves in um :0(
    Apart from that, great shoe. normally wear a pair of seal skins with um as they are very well ventilated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They split along the stitching on the outside of the toebox. There are two panels, each with a seam. The shoes fall apart along there.

Otherwise, very good.

kevonakona
    Free Member

GO for the three velcro strap ones. they get great write ups i've had mine for a couleof years and have been willing them to fall apart so i can buysomething sparkly but they still go strong.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to get a pair of Specialized BG Comp MTB Shoes’ is closed to new replies.