Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any reason not to buy wire tyres?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i always buy folding, but is there any reason (other than weight) not to buy the Wire bead tyre and save a tenner?

ta

Ben

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nope. Some companies do about a squillion different versions of the same block pattern and the folding ones tend to be the versions that get the snazzy rubber compounds though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not really. The weight can be noticeable, but that’s about it.

oldgit
    Free Member

None at all. As I like to have a selection of tyres for my racey mtb wire is a cost efective way to go.
    On the other hand my other bike that is shod the same all year gets quality rubber.
    Can’t say I notice the difference.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Often a bit heavier, always a bit cheaper.

richc
    Free Member

some OE wire tyres definately have harder/cheaper rubber compounds, however if you shop around and check then they only penalty can be the weight increase.

Del

i use wires on the front. if you loose pressure in the front quickly a folder will roll straight off and you’ll be riding on your rim – probably only for a short while mind 🙂

cp

as mentioned, be careful with the rubber – sometimes with a cheaper wire beaded tyre, it’s not just the bead thats cheaper – the rubber/construction can be cheaper/of lesser quality too. it will vary between tyres, so check and research partiuclar tyres carefully.

i find the difference in tyre construction and rubber types quite noticeable, generally.

gingerflash

As above, possibly different grade rubber, weight (almost all wire beaded tyres are considerably heavier) and wire beaded are often harder to fit as well, although a really slack floppy folder can be tricky in a different way.

larry

I have found in the past that wire beaded tyres are a nightmare to get on and off on some rims as they don’t have the same flex so can be really tight. I remember a time when I was miles away from anywhere with a puncture and could not for the life of me get the tyre back on. took me ages and I thought I was going to have a very long walk, ended up coating the rim and tyre with ibuleve gel just to get it to slip on. I only use folding now!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Something to consider is – if you’re short on storage space like me – that folding tyres are easier to store and take up less room when not in use than wire-beads.

Just my additional 2p.

coffeeking
    Free Member

although a really slack floppy folder can be tricky in a different way

lol

gingerflash

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I emitted teh LOLage also

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any reason not to buy wire tyres?’ is closed to new replies.