Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any reason not to buy one of these?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Orbea Occam in carbon flavour…

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/orbea-occam-am-m30-cs-spec-2017-Q1224437.157.html?gclsrc=aw.ds%23%2Frdl&source=webgains&siteid=54264%20affiliate=webgains&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Skimbit%20LTD

In the market for a new bike in Spectral, Whyte T130, Jeffsy territory…this was from a similar thread a few weeks back and still in stock. VERY similar profile to the lovely T130 too…

iainc

scotroutes has one of those I think ! (same frame, different spec)

rascal
    Free Member

Scotroutes to the forum please!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Check it is in stock or can be. Orbea stock is low on the ground due to imminent 2018 arrivals. Been after an Orbea Oiz for XC duties, ordered first week July and don’t expect it until another 2 weeks. Just something to think about. My opinion I think Orbea are right on point currently and they’re bikes are not unattractive to the eye.

oikeith

Looking at the spec of the brakes and the lack of dropper I think the Jeffsy might be better on paper, think it comes with SLX and a dropper.

rascal
    Free Member

This is carbon with great bouncy bits too.
    I’d put a Brand X Ascend dropper on for £105…not sure about a double chainset though…

scotroutes

* waves *

Yeah – I bought one towards the tail end of last year.

I’d been riding a Blur XC Carbon V1 but wasn’t really getting on with the geometry. Bought a Ragley Marley hardtail and much preferred that. So, I started looking for something with more “trail” geometry and more travel that the Blur. Looked at a few options and noticed that the Occam would still take a double chainring. Looked at run-out deals on alloy models (one of which fell through due to a stock issue), mentioned this to James at Pedals Bike Care in Edinburgh and he sorted me out a good deal on a carbon AM30.

In short – I love it. Handles well beyond my capabilities. Well put together and very comfy – even though I was dubious about the saddle.

It came 1x but I’ve changed it to 2x.

The only (small) issue I’ve had with it is that the chainstays are all marked where my heels rub. This is common with me but probably exacerbated by the chunky Boost swingarm. Luckily, I’d applied the Invisiframe kit when new.

The stock tyres are “OK” – High Roller front/Ardent rear but I’ll likely change those. I might also build myself a new wheelset with wider rims as I really appreciate them on the Marley. probably aim for 27mm, assuming there’s sufficient space for a wide tyre on them.

I’ve added a Fox Transfer. Cable routing is OK to deal with. I found inverting the frame and feeding from the bottom works best.

I still have the 46T cassette and 1x SLX cranks, unused, and really need to see about selling them.

I think the 2018 Occam is coming in B+ flavour too.

This is about as rad as I get
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/SRU4TL]Laggan1[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T6LFMe]Laggan2[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R2FpDv]2017-02-19_06-10-21[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

For that price, you’d be a mug not to buy one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

And clearly it’s Orange.

Winner winner all round.

blitz

I’ve also got one, bought last year in the same end of season cyclesurgery sale. Mine is the 2016 which is the same frame as the 2017 I believe but came with 2 x 10 xt/slx rather than 2 x 11.

I also absolutely love it. It’s light, stiff, pedals really well, pops off everything. It’s a proper do it all trail bike. Equally happy on an xc bimble in the woods to whatever you can throw at it.

Not had a single issue with mine so far. Put a reverb stealth on it and changed the saddle and tyres. Probably going to go 1 x when the current drivetrain is worn which is getting close.

scotroutes

Oh – I’m also loving the shock placement. I reckon I can fit a decent sized framebag in there and do some rougher bikepacking.

blitz

Just one thing to add…..check the sizing if you’re going to go for it. I’m 5′ 9″ and the sizing chart has me towards the top end of the medium range or bottom end of the large. I was able to demo one in a local shop and went for the large which fits really well. The geometry is great but they size up a bit shorter in reach compared to some.

rascal
    Free Member

Never really contemplated a carbon frame before tbh but it’s now ‘affordable’.
    Fork and shock look great but the double puts me off and the Deore brakes are a bit low rent considering everything else. Are the DT Swiss wheels any good? Guessing it’s a pressfit BB too? Lots of reasons to buy one…also a few not to. I have bought reduced bikes in the past for that very reason and buying a bike I want rather than need – the price here is a big factor so I don’t want fall into that trap again. With a Bird I can choose the parts I want even though it costs more admitedly.

joebristol

Looking at the pictures above it’s a nice looking bike.

Rascal – I’d imagine the Bird has a lower stand over height but a longer reach – just looking at the pictures (not checked the figures). Aeris 145 is probablyheavier though.

rascal
    Free Member

Not done any number crunching in terms of height and length etc but I tried a large Canyon Spectral yesterday and it felt short in the reach…so now off my list. This Occam is a beaut to look at though 😛

Poopscoop

Jeez!

That’s a mental deal isn’t it? If I were in the market for a similar bike I would jump all over that.

mcnultycop

If someone could buy the Rallon X10 stock off Cyclesurgery that would be great as I’ve nearly bought one a few times over the last few days.

scotroutes

Dumping the double is simple. Just remove the inner ring and the front mech. Or buy my SLX single crank 🙂

The DT Swiss wheels are OK, even though alloy nipples aren’t my favourite for longevity. The rims come pre-taped and you are supplied with tubeless valves so s splash of Stans and you’re good to go.

Yes, a pressfit BB. Jury is out on that. I have one on my Cube (road bike) that’s now seven years (and many thousands of miles) old and it’s still perfect. I’m not expecting the same performance on a MTB but we’ll see.

Deore brakes are OK – but you could pick up a pair of SLX for about £110 off Canyon at the moment and still have a billy bargain.

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers Scotroutes

Reading up on it at the mo.
    Looking at a Bird Aeris 145 build that’s coming in just shy of £3k – Pike, Monarch, XT 1×11, RF Turbine kit, DT Swiss wheels but upgraded…yet to try one though! If I bought XT brakes = £160, convert SLX chainset to 1×11 and out a Brand X Ascend dropper on it it would come in at around £2200 give or take – leaving me with a few quid in my pocket. Noticed there’s no pivot at arse end – relies on the carbon flexing…hmmm – I’m quite heavy and see
    potential woe ahead…

blitz

BB is pressfit 92 but hasn’t been an issue. The Deores are solid and functional and the DT spline wheels are nice. Haven’t felt the need to change either personally. It comes 2 x 11 as stock so easy to go 1 x with a new chainring.

The Bird bikes will have more standover and be much longer in reach for a given size. The carbon Occam will be lighter. It’s around 28lb in large as stock. If you can demo both I would. I demoed an aeris120 in ML and the sizing and geometry is quite different. I personally got on better with the Occam but could easily see how someone else would prefer the Bird. Both great bikes but from my limited experience of the short demo they have a slightly different character and depending on what you’re looking for, you will probably gravitate towards one or the other.

If the spectral felt short then you might prefer the Bird as I think the Occam is similar in reach to the spectral. Unless you can size up?

rascal
    Free Member

I am going down to try a Bird this weekend hopefully…could do with studying a few reach/ETT diagrams too. Not sure when I’ll be able to sit on the Occam – the store that have them are all miles from where I live…anyone have this model that doesn’t live in bonny Scotland i.e. near the Midlands I could try?

slackboy

I wouldn’t be put off by Deore brakes. I’ve got Deore on my FS and SLX on my hardtail and I really can’t tell the difference.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any reason not to buy one of these?’ is closed to new replies.