Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any professional gardeners here?
  • Bunnyhop

Our fence posts are crumbling and I’d like to plant a beech hedge. When it’s at a decent height I can remove the fence panels.

When is the best time to plant?
    Estimate of cost per plant?

Any advice regarding the actual planting process would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not a pro but good friend is and he did mine. Plant approx 12″ apart in a zigzag pattern to give some depth to the hedge.
    When to plant will depend upon whether planting potted ot bare rooted plants I think.

CaptainSlow

Not a pro but have just planted a modest hornbeam hedge. If bare root you’re cutting it fine – bare root can usually be bought Nov-may.
    Lots of info online, I’ve gone for a single row about 30cm apart with 2 year bushy whips used. I’ve also had to use rabbit guards and canes.
    I’ve also planted a Hawthorn hedge, as above 2yr bushy with guards etc

Rockape63
    Free Member

For the avoidance of doubt:

INFO

Almost any tree, shrub, hedging plant should be planted in the Autumn when the soil is moist and it can then develop roots through the Autumn and develops further as soon as the soil warms in the Spring. Planting is possible in the Spring but if they dry out they will probably die.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Pro gardener you say?

If you want a hedge now you can plant potted plants. I’d get them around 2ft high, might be 1-2l pots. Possibly £3 a plant, 3 per metre. Ensure it’s watered well from now until autumn.

Or plant bare root plants in autumn/winter. You’ll get a big bunch of 30 plants for £10-15.

Usual planting rules apply either way, make sure the soil is decent, adding compost if needed.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

classic line… “not a pro”… but plant now if you can or much later in the year (december – april I think is the season). A client planted some recently at the height he wanted them, rather than wait until they grow which seems to be a good idea.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any professional gardeners here?’ is closed to new replies.