• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any Poker players here? Advice?
  • ski
    Free Member

Been invited to a Poker night, a evening home session, with a group of mates, just for fun, don't think its going to be for big bucks!

Never played before!

Its Texas Holdem (sp?) if that makes a difference.

Any tips, or do you know a good basic guide online that I can read up before I go?

Now theres a thought…..is there anywhere online you can play for free, just to learn?

Ta.

comedyphil
    Free Member

This is a decent place to start – just an introduction to the basics (how the game works, hand selection, bet sizing etc.)

As for playing for free, most online poker sites will have an area for "play" money, which is what you're describing. However, people don't tend to play the same way when it's not for real money as when it means something, so it may not be the best way to learn strategy, but a good way to learn the mechanics of the game (blinds/antes/betting order)

HTH, good luck!

ski
    Free Member

thanks CP, will have a nose…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you wanna play for fun against a computer, I find I can waste hours on this… I'd echo what comedyphil says about the money thing though – puts a whole new slant on your tactics.

http://www.miniclip.com/games/governor-of-poker/en/

highclimber
    Free Member

chances are you might have beginners luck.

I wouldn't worry about Tactics and the like until you grasp the suits and the general rules of the game as its hardly your house you'll be betting on at an informal poker night!

the only other advice would be that I wouldn't expect there to be any really good hands being played, you'll probably see a lot of pairs being bet on and maybe a flush or a full house but I wouldn't be expecting many straights (flushes)

IHN

Something I once saw on a tv program about Vegas. There was a poker instructor on it, who's first lesson was:

Look around the table and spot the sucker. If you can't see one, it's you. Leave.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pay attention to the little things, you know…. the detail, like posting OT topics in the Bike forum!!! 😉

IanW
    Free Member

Jenga Poker on Facebook, no money involved excellent practice.

Poker is about probability, learn the hands and decide whether your hand is probably the highest, if its reasonable to believe you have the best hand then back it.

Always stick to the rules, gut instincts dont come into it.

xcgb
    Free Member

bristol biker
    you git- i wont get any work done now!

woody2000

2 words – "all in"

Lose your chips, then go and have a beer and watch telly. Poker's got to be one of dullest games ever IMO 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

He he 🙂 Perhaps it should have had a disclaimer/warning – you can play for hours on this free version before 'winning the first town' and then either stopping/paying

toons
    Free Member

My Top Tip: if you've got rubbish in the first two cards, always bin them, don't bluff.

uplink
    Free Member

Any tips

Yeah – don't play for any amount of money with mates unless you're willing to lose both your money & your mates

I've seen enormous fights in the past over very small amounts

Shandy
    Free Member

I play every now and again in the kind of mates games you are talking about and the following has always stood me in good stead, I am usually in the top 3 out of 6.

Learn the hands and what beats what, even if you are going to pretend to be clueless.

Constantly evaluate what potential hands are possible with what is on the table – beginners often get obsessed with what they are holding.

Conserve your dough – don't be tempted to throw money in unless you are sure what you are doing, most people expect beginners to be clueless so bluffing is dangerous, but this can work for or against you…

There is no harm in folding for cheap and watching how everyone else is playing.

Don't throw good money after bad – fold and conserve the money for a better hand.

Don't get involved in hands with lots of players involved, it is far more complicated, it can get expensive, and you have less chance of predicting the outcome than you have in a one-on-one.

With a bit of self-control, playing your hands on their merit, and with the odd bluff, you should stay in the game long enough to get an idea how everyone is playing.

Most of this advice is only valid for games with mates playing for a decent amount of money and wanting to make an evening of it. I hate playing for too littl money, everyone gets bored and bets like idiots and there is usually a couple of player with a massive chip-lead based on a couple of lucky hands at the start.

Don't throw all your money in and go and watch TV, stick at it for a full game, learn a bit and then decide whether you want to play again.

IHN

2 words – "all in"

Lose your chips, then go and have a beer and watch telly. Poker's got to be one of dullest games ever IMO

+1

Drac

Yeah – don't play for any amount of money with mates unless you're willing to lose both your money & your mates

I've seen enormous fights in the past over very small amounts

Played regular card games over the years with mates and it's got to some 'big' money at times. Not once had a single fight or lost mates. Lost some cash but no more than I was willing to risk but won some big old piles too.

Well big on the sense for when playing with coppers and coming home with £40-50 more than you started big.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any Poker players here? Advice?’ is closed to new replies.