• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GEDA.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any point using Paypal on Classifieds?
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Trying to sell some lights and the guy wanted to use paypal. I usually just ask for a bank transfer as you get fees with Paypal. Looking into paypal though there is no buyers or sellers protection if the sale was through any type of classified advert. Can someone explain to me what exactly is the point of Paypal? I suppose the only point in this case would be so you don’t have to give any bank details out but you get those if you give someone a cheque so not much difference.

uplink
    Free Member

it’s instant

Northwind

Lots of people like paypal gift, since it’s free (with a balance or the right sort of card). But bank transfer is fine too. People get sniffy about confidentiality but as you say the details you give out are identical to what’s on every cheque you’ve ever written. And these days most payments are very fast, most banks have signed up to faster payments for items under £500 between personal current accs (and some banks for higher).

toys19
    Free Member

there is item not received protection with paypal. But no not as described protection unless its through ebay too.

bland

People tend to have pretend play dough spare change type funds that teh wife doesnt know about in paypal too

Reluctant
    Free Member

Bland’s hit the nail on the head! Paypal is my little secret stash and doesn’t even count as real money.

trout
    Free Member

Paypal is a nessesary evil .
    and as bland says a nice place to stash those classified sales dosh for future purchases .

nickjb
    Free Member

Its very easy. A few clicks, I don’t even need to type my address. Much easier than logging into my online banking and adding a payee.

khani
    Free Member

Paypal uses REAL MONEY!!!!!
    noooo oh nooo it dosnt, your avin a larf! It’s bike money, not real at all

snakebite
    Free Member

stash innit.

Northwind

“toys19 – Member

there is item not received protection with paypal.”

Not with gift, which is what most sellers want

scaredypants

Not with gift, which is what most sellers want

Seems to me the benefits are all on the side of the buyer so I’m not paying their fees for them (at least in future – having had exactly this happen quite recently. stupid me for not checking what had been paid in).

When I RECEIVE the agreed amount, I’ll consider it a sale

toys19
    Free Member

yeah so just don’t do gift, add the commission on to the sales price.

bruneep

I’m happy to do a gift payment to those that I “know” on here, otherwise I will do regular PP. I’d rather pay a few pence more should anything go wrong with an unknown poster on STW.

GEDA
    Free Member

But there is no sellers or buyers protection if you are officially doing it for classified. Have not got enough money for a secret stash 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any point using Paypal on Classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.