Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any PLEX experts on here – streaming over home network etc?
  • Max…
    Free Member

For a few years now I have been used the Plex server on my laptop with all my DVD films ripped to MP4 files.

I then use the Plex app on my iPad to cast these to our TV via the Chromecast dongle in the back of the TV. All works great. Except the iPad does not allow surround sound in this way I understand.

But – now having a new 5.1 surround sound system and a Blu Ray player with wi-fi I believe I can access the files this way to allow surround sound.

Anyone tell me how to set this up please? – I have some (very limited) tecchy knowledge but not enough…!

Additionally I still have the original DVD rips in the .dob/.vob/.ifo files. Some are pretty obscure discs from way back and impossible to find now…what is the best way to write these to a DVD that I can then play on the actual blu ray player?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Plex also creates a DLNA server, so your new blue ray player should be able to sniff it out on your network and stream the files from there.

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about 5.1 with Plex, but to get the vob/ifo files onto DVD I’d use Nero.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Does the bluray player have a plex app on it? I think (it was a while since i last investigated) that the chromecast doesn’t directly support plex (hence the issues via the ipad)

DezB
    Free Member

Chromecast works fine with Plex (from laptop or iPad).

Max…
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, yes been using the Chromecast with Plex for years – no issues there – just our good old Apple friends don’t allow 5.1 via the iPad.

Will re-investigate the blu ray set up screens for the network.

Will checkout Nero.

Max…
    Free Member

Well…my Plex server appears on the blu ray player screen and when I click on it I get the list of folders (home videos, photo, movies etc) but when I click on the movies folder (or whatever) I get the ‘loading’ screen for a few seconds but it comes back empty.

Also on the app.plex.tv on my laptop the BR player does not appear in the devices?

Any pointers please?! 🙂

Flaperon

Would need to check but doubt the video stream goes Plex Server -> iPad -> Chromecast.

Instead your iPad just provides the Chromecast device with a link to the Plex server, so your lack of 5.1 is not necessary Apple related.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Surely the best/easiest solution, assuming that you can’t get the Plex app on your blu-ray player, would be to get yourself a £35 Amazon fireTV stick, put the Plex app on that and Bob’s your mother’s brother..

rossburton
    Free Member

As twicewithchips said, have a look on the bluray player itself for a Plex app. My bluray player is about five years old and has a dedicated Plex app. It’s arse and I use the Plex app on my PS4 instead, but that’s because the player itself is unsupported now: iPlayer hangs with boxes over the video, 4od won’t even start, Plex mostly won’t play anything.

Lesson learnt: don’t expect Samsung stuff to last more than two years.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I use Plex on a Fire Stick as well, works great and it works with 5.1.
    No need for casting from the iPad or anything, just need the laptop switched on.

The Sony Surround sound box shows the correct 5.1 audio stream (usually encoded AC3) when I start playing a film.

I had to downgrade the version of Plex on my older Fire TV stick to stop stuttering, but the latest version of the Plex App works fine on the latest Fire TV stick.

doris5000

I’ve got the Plex app on a Roku box which can see the films on the HDD upstairs, and even displays snazzy artwork for them which wasn’t originally there, but won’t play them. It’s a Mac with Yosemite.

any ideas? Basically about once every 3 months I spend half an hour trying to make it work and then give up (I’m not really the one who watches TV 😆 )

twicewithchips
    Free Member

On mine there was an option for ‘unsecured local’ connection to the PLEX server, which was recommended to solve some problem that I don’t remember.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got the Plex app on a Roku box which can see the films on the HDD upstairs, and even displays snazzy artwork for them which wasn’t originally there, but won’t play them. It’s a Mac with Yosemite.

Sorry if it’s an obvious question, but I only ask as it’s not clear… you do have the Plex Server installed on the Mac don’t you? if so do the films play locally on the Mac within Plex?

I also found the unsecured local connection thing helpful.

doris5000

– Yes

– don’t actually know! will try

– thanks for the tip, will try that too 🙂

Max…
    Free Member

Cheers again for all the info – will read/study all posts carefully and check back…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any PLEX experts on here – streaming over home network etc?’ is closed to new replies.