• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jimt.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any plasterers/DIYers around?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve a 0.5 ft squared repair to do in my bathroom & I’ve cut out the old damaged plasterboard and replaced it with a section of new board and I put on a layer of patching plaster yesterday. More than 24hrs later the surface of the patching plaster was all cracked on the surface and didn’t actually stick to the new plasterboard. Could this be due to to insufficient water in the mixture or could it be that the active ingredients in the plaster mix are dud as the bag is about 18 months old but was stored in a dry place? Should I be using a different off the shelf product for this?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d use easifil. Easy to work and can be sanded or more used to fill to get a good finish. Sticks well too.

jimt
    Free Member

Bag is far too old, always a mistake to use an old (month or more opened) bag of plaster or similar. Will go off like a rocket, crack and fall off. Probably need to PVA the existing plaster/painted surfaces you are blending onto as well (assuming its skimmed/painted), but not familiar with ‘patching plaster’.

Albanach
    Free Member

Bag is far too old, always a mistake to use an old (month or more opened) bag of plaster or similar. Will go off like a rocket, crack and fall off. Probably need to PVA the existing plaster/painted surfaces you are blending onto as well (assuming its skimmed/painted), but not familiar with ‘patching plaster’.

Cheers Jim – would you recommend easifil or something else? Don’t particularly want to buy a big bag of stuff for a small repair…

nickjb
    Free Member

You can buy small bags of easifil.

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers Nick!

jimt
    Free Member

I would plaster it personally (multi), but if your no plasterer, then it looks like easifill would do the job just fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any plasterers/DIYers around?’ is closed to new replies.