Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Any planespotters in the house this evening?
  • Joe

Large transport type plane…want to know if it is military or not and who the likely operator is.

STW…gotta love it…experts on anything manly.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Difficult to say, maybe an AN 124? – if it’s large.

Flaps certainly look a similar length.

Joe

Nose looks pointier, non?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C-17 Globemaster perhaps?

Joe

It’s not in the UK btw. It’s in the Arabian Peninsula.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah the nose looks pointier, but it’s such a low quality image from an odd angle that thing could be very deceptive. You could well be right though.

dantsw13

No, C-17 is high tail. Where was it?

Joe

Not a c17:

Also i think smaller than an AN 124.

Joe

In Yemen

scuzz
    Free Member

il-76

Operators

Joe

Thanks guys. Appreciate your help scuzz.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Scuzz FTW!

wwaswas

does the one in that bottom pic of scuzz’s run on diesel?

there’s some pretty grubby wings there.

Joe

LOL yeh i assumed they were stripes painted on the plane.

jota180
    Free Member

does the one in that bottom pic of scuzz’s run on diesel?

IIRC Jet-A and Diesel fuels aren’t that different

andyl
    Free Member

and during takeoff they run rich. Just like with diesel cars – ‘more spoke, more poke’

It was the seemingly low bypass engines that had me wondering. Nice one Scuzz that does look like a match.

Must be the perspective making it look like a low horizontal stabiliser.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Il-76’s go off from here everyday leaving a thick smoke trail in their wake! They are most odd in that they appear not to be accelerating and you are convinced they are not going to get off then suddenly they just kind of repel the runway with their ugliness and lift off! Interesting landings as well, they deploy the thrust reversers just before they hit the runway then hold the nose up high for aerodynamic braking (like an F-16 does). They are just last generation noisy dirty planes but they appear to need little maintenance. C17’s are also regular visitors, much cleaner and quieter and generally less dramatic.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Jet-A is basically kerosene (or paraffin in the UK) with various additives depending on the application. Its a lighter fraction than Diesel but if you don’t burn it properly you get a greasy black smoke produced (same as with Diesel).

andyl
    Free Member

we get C17s training down south of Bristol. They look like they are going to fall out of the sky as they go so slow over the villages.

Had a Spectre gunship flying around the Mendips for a couple of hours earlier in the year too (around the time of the Fairford air show)

if you want a smokey take off look for a video of an old B52 😯

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I was watching one of those just this morning (an AC-130), firing its 30mm Bushmaster!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

They are most odd in that they appear not to be accelerating and you are convinced they are not going to get off then suddenly they just kind of repel the runway with their ugliness and lift off!

😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyvY2GK9B3M[/video]

andyl
    Free Member

Rockhopper – where are you? Or are you not allowed to say?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m in Kandahar.

willard

Stay safe.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thats my plan! I’ve been hear for nearly two years now, had a couple of near misses but generally its been okay.

kcal

we get C17s training down south of Bristol. They look like they are going to fall out of the sky as they go so slow over the villages.

Likewise, until recently, seeing the Nimrods doing their fly-round training. As they come in on approach, you could swear they were hardly moving..

CountZero

It used to be entertaining watching the C-130’s over Lyneham during air show season practicing Khe Sanh Drops; seeing a 70 ton aircraft stoogeing along slowly at about 1000ft, then suddenly seeming to hinge at the tail and drop vertically like a stone. Who’d be the pilot trying that for the first time… 😯

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Any planespotters in the house this evening?’ is closed to new replies.