Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any phone engineers in? Buzzing line
  • molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a buzzing. Has been this way for ages, and has not traditionally affected the broadband which, whilst crap at 3.4MBps is towards the upper range of the speed estimate given on most sites.

But the internet quality has become steadily worse over the last few months and now won’t even connect. The buzzing seems the same. But the weird thing is, when I hang up (by pressing the cradle button) the noise doesn’t stop instantly but fades away over about a second.

Any clues? Seems to be a wiring fault somewhere on the line, but is there a way of telling if it’s on my property or not?

Drac

Have you unplugged the faceplate and connected your phone directly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

Drac

Then that suggests it’s not in your property, unless you’re phone is broken

RoterStern
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

^ beaten to it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I would try replacing your broadband/phone filter(s).

andy8442
    Free Member

Are you in Manchester?

mattyfez

Could be a line fault, you’ll need to speak to your provider and get them to do a line test.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I would try replacing your broadband/phone filter(s).

Try this, I did once get similarish symptoms that turned out to be water getting in where water really shouldn’t about 15 years ago. I can’t remember where the fault was but a visit from a BT engineer sorted it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah, apparently the persistent buzzing is not the source of the problem – EE have a problem at the exchange.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any phone engineers in? Buzzing line’ is closed to new replies.