Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any paramedics in the house….
  • waihiboy
    Free Member

I know there are a few on here but can’t remember who?

Just want some un-biased views on how you find your job?

I’m looking into becoming a technician, under no illusion its a hard job but I need a complete career change.

My email is waihi_boyATyahooDOTcom – if you have a spare 5 mins please feel free to email me and I’ll reply.

Cheers

brack
    Free Member

Heres my moby…. am up early in the am so off to bed, but give me a call tomorrow and I can give you some pointers.

Regards

Rich

Emergency care practitioner extraordinaire…..

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pretty sure Drac who posts on here is a paramedic

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brack
    Free Member

That bloody speshal I forgot my number…

07917 162405 😆

waihiboy
    Free Member

Cheers fella

paule
    Free Member

Not one myself, but my other half is. If you’re married/attached/want to be then make sure that your partner is happy with the constantly changing shift patterns between day and night shifts. It works well for us, but I can see some people getting anoyed by it.

notlocal
    Free Member

waihiboy, it’s the best job in the world, and also the worst.

I’ve had a green suit for nearly 7 years, paramedic for nearly 5 of those. Every day can be different , and on some of those days the people you work with and your patients who don’t make it, will make you feel like packing it all in. Then there will be days you get a “thank you” card from a family or individual you have helped, it’s little things like that which make me continue.

like paule said it can be hard to adjust to shifts, but my other half is also a paramedic and we seem to manage.

brack, where are you based? Mrsnotlocal and I fancy a change of scenery, N Yorks/Cumbria area would be nice. Any jobs going?

Good luck.

meehaja
    Free Member

Its a great job, I love it… but, It can be very hard on relationships, not just the shifts but the whole lifestyle. The hard work thing is over hyped IMO, Its like any job, its as hard as you make it, and I’m quite laid back so I don’t let it get to me! Training can be a ball ache, especially if you are residential (you’re looking at 12-15 weeks away from home).

Management can make the job frustrating and you’ll, probably find it very disapointing and disillusioning, until you get a decent job and you feel on top of the world! If you want to chat anytime about the job, my email should be in my profile, also http://www.ambulance999.org.uk is a bit geeky but a good resource for info!

Jim

P.S “not local”, You want to come to Yorkshire? Seriously? they’re hiring 100’s of staff at the mo, but do you really want to work for a trust who’s ex exec is in prison?

Drac

Yup here too feel free to fire me an email it can be found in my profile, coming up 20 years for me now of which 15 as a Paramedic. Need to know where you live as some areas are adopting Uni style training.

It’s a great job with some nice rewards and pretty good benefits for more years of service.

waihiboy
    Free Member

Cheers all,

I will email you guys tonight when I’m home and there’s no phones ringing!

It’s early days but I had a vision the other night that I have to get out of here before I really sign my life away in a job I hate..

I’m based in south wales, 34 in may, married but no kids, the wife is 110% behind me. I’m going to call the local NHS later just to see what they say, also the wife’s old school mate works in the local ambulance call centre so she should know the score, said i could pop in have a chat.

From the basic research I’ve done (Very conflicting on the web) its a long drawn out interview/test process, then 4-6 weeks driver training, then 3 months at Swansea uni, then if there are places you are sent as a technician for roughly 12-18 months with continuous training and testing. There’s no guarantees I may fall at the first hurdle but as i said I have to start the ball rolling, they are taking on at the moment ‘apparently’

waihiboy
    Free Member

meehaja whats your email fella, its not in your profile.

email me and i’ll reply if you want.

waihi_boyATyahooDOTcom

notlocal
    Free Member

meehaja, can’t be any worse than the current crop of “Managers” the Scottish Ambulance Service have. Our last Chief resigned after allegations of bullying.

The head of my Division is also an ex paramedic, who still applies the “we did it like this in my day” & “we never had (insert equipment choice) in my day” style of management. He’s treading water until he retires and never fails to remind the staff of this. VERY motivational!!

We’re looking to move somewhere with more amenities, as where we are currently is very rural. It’s great for my riding, but very limited for social/shopping/affordable housing. I know the grass is always greener etc. but I think we should try it out and see just the same.

Drac

Just to say I haven’t forgotten to reply just been busy this week, on office boy duties today so will try to answer when I come back home. On my lunch at the moment beauty of living around the corner from the station.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any paramedics in the house….’ is closed to new replies.