Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any *other* 28h centerlock front hubs around?
  • bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Hola! My first topic, so I thought I'd make it a difficult one..
    After being let down by 2 different bike shops on cheap M965 28hole front hubs, I have a question.. Apart from the phenomenally expensive DT 240s hubs, are there any others out there, apart from new XTR (coz I'm stingy), that have 28 holes and take centerlock?
    I would go for 3 bolt pro 3's but I've already ordered the Stan's rim and the rotor!

Stoner
    Free Member

Spesh seem to make one called their Hi Lo disc hub, but it comes as OEM on one of their bikes, not as an aftermarket hub.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I saw that, but yes.. it's only OEM.
    I may have to resign myself to an M975 hub, but it won't match the rear and is £40 more.

njee20
    Free Member

Why did you go 28h? That was silly! Coda also did an OEM one, you may find one of those.

Edit: Tune King? Still more than XTR, but cheaper than 240s, they come in 28h.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I always thought that 32 holes was overblown.. Having never even bent a 32 hole front wheel I felt I could get rid of a few.
    Tune and King are out as they are 6 bolt.. I like the idea of centerlock and stoopidly light rotors.
    I'm leaning towards a hope Pro 3 SP-XC3 front wheel now though having seen the price compared to XTR + Stan's ZTR + Sapim C X-Rays!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

i have a set of Bonty Race X Lite wheels, that have 28 hole Hubs, centre lock and 240 internals, rims are a bit scratched in places, you could relace them with your stans, that's what i was gonna do……. but im off the bike for a bit so im selling them….

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Trev, but I've already collected the bits to make a rear wheel.
    I also ordered a hope wheel earlier.. Should be lighter than what I had in mind with the XTR anyway, and saves me some faff of building it. I'm hoping now that 24 spokes isn't too few… I could stick my whole arm through that!

njee20
    Free Member

I like the idea of centerlock and stoopidly light rotors

You're presumably aware that Centrelock rotors weigh a fair bit more than 6 bolt, and the adapters cancel out the weight if you use lightweight 6 bolt rotors? The lightest overall set up will not be Centrelock.

Sadly it won't be a Hope SP-XC3 either, but hopefully you'll be happy with it!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

That's OK.. I'm kind of using a weight saving/price thing to see what I can get, and the hope hoop works out cheaper anyway.. and 50g lighter than what I had in mind before.

I like centerlock because shimango rotors are strong like Ox.. and always come out of the packet perfectly round, but I can get the spanner out on this occasion!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any *other* 28h centerlock front hubs around?’ is closed to new replies.