Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any opinions on Michelin tyres ?
  • Michelin have got a pretty good reputation for truck and Land Rover tyres.
    I think they’re quite highly regarded for cars and motorbikes too.
    They seem to be completely overlooked for mountain bikes though.
    Why is that ?
    These seem cheap enough. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=20769
    Comparable to what I’ve got now. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-fast-trak-item136534.html#info

Is it just that Michelin are not seen as a cool brand ?
    I’ve got a map board on my bike, so I’m not too worried about not being seen as rad enough because I’ve got the wrong logo on my tyres.

WTF
    Free Member

Poor marketing.

MSP

I like the xcr mud tyre, unfortunately they don’t do that tyre any more. I tried some all mountain tyres from them a few years back and didn’t get on with them at all.

They revamped their range last year, I think the tyre you linked to is old stock.

Lummox

bought some dry xc’s from on one, mainly because they were very cheap and i fancied some better rolling tyres for summer.

Well they turned out to be a bit of a bargin, grip has been as good as my old panaracer cinders in everything from damp grassland to dry trail centre, not had any bad issues with them other than slight loss of grip on really wet long grass, they blow up big too.

When my ‘predictable purchase’ highrollers wear out michelin will be a consideration.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Not sure about the new tyres but the old Comp 16’s were (and still are, in my opinion) the best DH tyres money could buy.

Mackem

Always seem to be cheaer than the rest and do the job just as well. I’m runing their mud ones at the moment and have a couple of sets of XC ones.

damion
    Free Member

Bought the all terrains from on-one in a fit of tight fisted needed new tyre’s-ness. I quite like them, need commitment on corners, but all in all, better than the conti verts they replaced, and are much more uphill friendly than the minion’s on the other bike.

nsaints
    Free Member

MTB Mountain Dry 2’s rip to easy, went through 3 last summer – OK I ride on allot of chalk/flint, but other makes seem to suffer less
    MTB XC A.T. very unpredicatable on wet chalk – almost new one here, which won’t be seeing my bike again!

Thats my 2 pence worth..

Thanks for the replies.
    Mostly positive experiences then, and as there’s no chalk or flint here in Worcestershire, I’ll give them a go.

qwerty
    Free Member

i have the 2.2″ XC All Terrain – “all terrains” is where it works well, took a bit of getting used to cornering on them though (fine now) – but i think that if theyed put an extra nobble on the tyres edge (there is a big gap of no tread on the edge) that they’d of been even betterer

emac65
    Free Member

I’ve used both of those tyres but in 26″ versions.The AT is a decent enough rear tyre in most conditions, but isn’t much cop on the front imho.I like fast tracks a lot & think they are a much better all round tyre….

ibnchris

the transworlds are amazing – super cheap and great MTB road touring tyres. Heavy but last forever.

But got some summer tubeless xc tyres a while back and a bit disappointed. Really heavy and didn’t really ‘feel’ right.

angryratio
    Free Member

The dry2 tyres caused a flurry of rediculous comedy crashes last summer.
    Had sparks fly off a shiny new xtr mech.

Suppose it just depends where you ride.

I’ve had some xcr’s which as mentioned above, made decent mud tyres.

andyg
    Free Member

I had some Wildgrippers quite a few years back. Squirmy and prone to pinch flats. However they did come with the FS bike so may have been oem ones and not a good example.

dobo
    Free Member

Michelin have some decent road and cx tyres, though i must admit i’ve never tried mtb ones, maybe it is just a marketing thing and that they cant compete against shcwalbe, maxxis etc or just arnt bothered.. for that small piece of the pie

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve had a dry II and a wildgripper’r on for the last few months and for trail centres they were superb! However (and as to be effected) on wet mud they were useless. I really like the look of the wildrock’rs but with all this snow melt and now deep sloppy mud I’ve gone to swampthings. Will definately give them a look in the spring. Beware though, they come up big!

beanieripper
    Free Member

opposing views as always, personally i think they are very well made tyres. Saying that I wouldnt put an XC or AM All Terrain on the front unless I wanted to die, tried em, not nice when you push hard…

rp16v
    Free Member

i have mud-x 2.0 front and rear seem to be ok in all contitions but come up abit thin so possibley going for a nevagal up front.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

I had the 2.2 All terrains on some time ago and thought they were ace, Tubeless and reasonable price, however sidewalls proved a bit fragile as both eventually failed on the sidewall. I’d have them again although Maxxis are much tougher in my exeprience.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I never spend much on tyres, and just buy stuff on sale. Got some Michelin ‘Country Trail’ tyres a few months back. Not the best tyres ever, but they were cheap. I’m not spending £40 a tyre or whatever, that’s just stupid in terms of my needs. They were perfectly fine at Penmachno in the summer, and are ok on most stuff.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any opinions on Michelin tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.