Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any Openreach engineers on here? Infinity installation help.
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

I am getting BT Infinity installed tomorrow.

My BT master socket is in the hallway and there are no phone extension sockets. I am also getting BT Vision and would like to move my router to the living room.

Will the engineer do this if I ask them or do they just do the absolute basics?

If I put my own extension in will it effect connection speed?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The engineer may do it for you or they may not. It often depends on the engineer.
    They aren’t obliged to and setting up your own extension isn’t hard to do.

Drac

Offer them tea and cake when they visit and the ask for a little favour explaining what you want, I had an extra socket installed in my dining room a few years ago by asking nicely.

jeff

+1 to coffee, posh biscuits and asking nicely.

Got my master socket moved with cable run outside the house from useless position by front door into my kitchen.

ads678

Inhad this done a couple of months ago. The engineer fitted a new socket at the master point, they have to fit a specific one. Then he just ran a cable around the room to where the TV is and then fitted the hub over there. The router has to go hext to the TV if you have BT Vision as some of the channels go through it. It all connectsto the TV.
    I reckon you’ll be fine as it only a length of cable they need and that costs them nothing.

ekul
    Free Member

The guy who installed ours was really helpful. At the time we could only have it by the window in the front room (where the phone line entered the house) due to the fact the whole house was being stripped. I explained to him that as part of the renovation the master socket was likely to be moved to another room so what would need doing. He understood that I didn’t want to be paying BT to have it rewired so he left me a roll of cable (subcontractor so no loss to him) and showed me how to rewire the master socket. Basically if you let them do it initially, when you move it just rewire it exactly as they have. He also gave me his own number to give him a ring if I was struggling. More than happy with the service!

Unfortunately I got a phonecall off him a couple of weeks later because BT had apparently had a complaint from me re. the service! Felt pretty sorry for the guy.

juanking

Watching this with interest… We (an ex bt engineer) moved the master socket about 2 feet so instead of being in the middle of the wall it was by the skirting. It is pretty obvious that the box has been moved….
    We are getting infinity installed on Friday and should I be concerned he will refuse to upgrade our connection? Would fresh coffee and posh cake suffice or will we be without a useable connection?

davidrussell
    Free Member

which coffee to butter up a tradesman?

Legoman
    Free Member

I am getting BT Infinity installed tomorrow

I hope your experience with BT broadband is better than ours….. contenders for worst customer service ever (and there’s some stiff competition!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any Openreach engineers on here? Infinity installation help.’ is closed to new replies.