Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any one wear a MX lid for DH riding?
  • Wookster

Just a thought would there be an issue? Any one do it? only lid with Snell B95 std is the spesh and it's cut too high at the back for my liking Others have only the lower euro standards etc even the troy lee is not B95. Visually there is little vent difference between 661 DH and Mx lids?

Thanks!

jedi

some do. bit heavier than mtb ff.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I can't see it being a problem – do they have the same/smiler ventilation (I know they have a open face)?

Wookster

Its manly the standard thing thats a worry been looking into is and the giro lids etc are not as highly rated.

Any tips on fitting etc?

jackal
    Free Member

Jedi, the newer generation of mx lids are quite light.

I'm using a fox v3 carbon mx lid, slightly lighter than my composite d2 and a lot better made, just slightly more bulky..
    I had a troy lee mx lid (se2 I think) a few years back n that was a fair bit heavier but you get used to it.

Go for it I'd say.

btw, Airoh stelt is about the lightest mx lid you can get, lighter than most mtb full face lids.

My mates got an unused bell moto 8 for sale if you fancy it..?

RustyNissanPrairie

Used to wear A Troy Lee SE (MX helmet) for DH, a fair bit heavier and physically bigger than the carbon D2 I had after and nowhere near as much ventilation. Never crashed in either but the D2 felt a lot lighter/flimsier.

A little depends on what riding your doing-I wore the SE whilst in the Alps a lot with its generally higher speeds/rockier and the D2 in the UK with lower speeds/tighter/twistier tracks.

SE mugshot;

Wookster

thanks mate it uk really for me….well alps in the summer pass permitting from the Mrs!!

GW
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn't bother with the extra protection an MX lid gives unless you're an absolute pinner and often have big crazy crashes. will you be using a neck brace and armour too? – coz if you are and you're pushing you'll boil!

Rusty – I've honestly never found the Alps DH riding to be any faster or rockier than UK riding – just longer (there's a hell of a lot of mega techy fairly low speed DH too)

RustyNissanPrairie

My Alps riding was mainly in Les Arc. I've never been at faster speeds on a bike anywhere else in my life allthough as you say there is techy slow stuff as well.

simon_g

I used to, but this was back when the few DH helmets you could buy were £200+ so I went for a £50 MX helmet instead. Big and bulky and heavy though, lots of better MTB-specific options these days.

TractorFrog
    Free Member

I used to ride a MX Lid, Was doing some stupid quarry riding at the time but as soon as the sun came out the beads of sweat started to run down. The vents just aren't design to let air flow in at the speeds we sometimes reach, unlike when riding MX when your well above MTB max speed most of the time.

Protection wise there going to be better as they have a better certification standard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any one wear a MX lid for DH riding?’ is closed to new replies.