Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any one regreted buying SLX brakes?
  • robidoo
    Free Member

I am looking to buy some brakes for my Orange Alpine as I don't like the Hayes Strokers that are on it.
    I like the Hope brakes on my other bikes but was thinking of some Saints but they are a bit pricey.
    How do the SLX's compare are they any good?

Rob.

MS
    Free Member

Top notch brakes, very little difference to my xt's on my race bike.

Got them on two bikes (training and alps bike, and both are excellent.

poppa
    Free Member

I like em. fairly powerful, but they will probably feel totally different to the Strokers. The servo-wave doo-dah gives a lot of pad clearance and modulation. It means that at the start of the stroke you get less power, and you have to squeeze the lever a fair bit to lock up the wheels. I like this, but some people don't. Powerful enough for most riding, but almost certainly less power than Saints. I've no idea if they will be enough for alps-type riding, but someone else will i'm sure.

Northwind

I only regret getting my XTs over SLX to be honest, they're very good brakes. That said I'd get Formula now but there's nowt wrong with SLX.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

i would regret buying any shimano brake as soon as it came to a bleed.which is likely within the first 12 months

retro83
    Free Member

I have found that they have a softer lever feel than other brakes I've owned.

The modulation/power is excellent however, and bleeding them is very easy.

Northwind

david moyes is my dad – Member

"i would regret buying any shimano brake as soon as it came to a bleed.which is likely within the first 12 months"

Er, why? They're incredibly easy to bleed and need no special tools, and use nice safe-to-handle mineral oil. One of the easiest brakes to bleed.

househusband

Not one bit – have SLX brakes on both bikes now.

Keep the Hayes rotors you have, robidoo, and just get the brakes from Ribble cycles.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I've had mine for about a year. Love them to bits. Haven't had a single issue with them or needed a bleed either.

In fact I had to bash one of the levers straight with a mallet following a crash and they're still spot-on.

Baldysquirt

Like mine a lot. Just bought some more for the GF's bike as they were so damn cheap on Ribble last month.

scruff
    Free Member

SLX as good as XT, but the lever blade seems more flexy. No problem with my SLX on the Alps, they are on my DH bike now.

coogan
    Free Member

Nope. Planning on another set for my other bike.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Changed my horrid flappy paddle XTs for SLX levers. Much more squidgy and soft with some play on before the disc engages. Still stop me though and I skid less.

tommid
    Free Member

They just work… Need I say more?
    OK I will say more. They don't need the hours of bleeding etc to change pads like Avids.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the new saints and they are anything but squidgy. With one finger I can easily lock either wheel, if the SLX are half as powerful they will be fine.

st

As Scruff has said above. I went from XTs to SLX and noticed the additional flex in the lever but this isn;t detrimental to the use of the brake.

ivantate
    Free Member

I have an old bought used SLX on the back of my inbred, not sure when it was last bled but with a new set of superstar disc and pads fitted it is incredibly sharp braking. Might go down to 160mm for the back to keep it under control. (i am used to Hayes and Hopes which have more modulation)

Would recommend SLX to anyone.

Northwind

st – Member

"As Scruff has said above. I went from XTs to SLX and noticed the additional flex in the lever but this isn;t detrimental to the use of the brake."

Yup, noticed that too, not sure if it's actually the lever blade itself or the whole mounting. It's the sort of thing you notice if you squeeze it in the car park but not when you're riding IMO.

The SLX brakes I played with did come with different pads to my XT but I've heard that's not the case now.

robidoo
    Free Member

Thaks for the replies fellas they sound like a good brake.

st

The lever is folded aluminium rather than a solid forged lever so I put it down the that, I guess the clamp assembly could be cheaper and more flexible too.

Teh SLX caliper is the same as old LX / Hone and our riding group kind of concluded that the position of the bleed nipple on trhese calipers made bleeding more predicable that on XTs. A few of us had struggled with a good bleed on XTs. Not had to bleed the SLX yet so fingers crossed.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Just caned my new SLX brakes for 2 weeks in the Alps. Very impressed. Great feel and a bottomless pit of power.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any one regreted buying SLX brakes?’ is closed to new replies.