Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any one post vinyl?
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, got a few boxes of records that i will never get to hear again, due to the digital revolution! Anyone have bad experiences posting it? I would hate to think of them getting damaged as there is some classic stuff in there!

thomthumb
    Free Member

hardboard is your friend.

mickasaki
    Free Member

As in thin wood? will cost a fortune though!

tails
    Free Member

You can get special card board sleeves, perhaps ask someone like ninja tune where they buy them or look here

stompy

Nah Hardboard is cheap as chips…….. prob cheaper than actual chips 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Vinyl records are quite tough when comes to impact sort of damage – they're rather soft really so as long as you protect them from scratching you should be OK

I'd be happy with just paper between them

mickasaki
    Free Member

I suppose it may be a case of safety in numbers. A few packed together has got to be stronger than single (pun intended!) 12" is more of a worry than 7" though, (so the wife says anyway!)

thomthumb
    Free Member

[saddo] not really wood is it – fibre based.[/saddo]

but i've received single 12"s through the post with a single 12" square of hardboard to protect it – seems to work well. puts the price of the postage up but if you need to protect single plates…

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

You can buy special "mailers" from the likes of ebay. Basically a cardboard envelope and a corrugated cardboard inner to protect the cover being bent , will hold maybe 3 albums tops.
    The vinyl itself is pretty robust , but a bent cover annoys the shit outta me.

da funk

matthewjb
    Free Member

As Purplefunkymonkey says cardboard 'mailers' are the way to go.

I bought a pack of 25 for about £18 from Ebay. They each hold up to 3 albums.

I've sold a few records now with no complaints.

Haze

Yup, use the mailers available off ebay with the cardboard stiffeners.

I've sent loads (200+) domestic & overseas, never had a problem with damage including the one which never reached it's Austrian destination but made it back here weeks later and still in good shape.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I use cardboard.

Works great!

takisawa2

Sandwich them between two thin sheets of alloy.
    Might be a bit expensive though. 🙂

mickasaki
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, Ebay mailers it is then!

MrAgreeable

Yep, go with the cardboard mailers – the cruciform corrugated cardboard ones are best. I can't imagine hardboard conferring much more protection, you'd need to cut it to size, and it's rough and hard enough to damage an outer sleeve. I've sent and received over a hundred records in card mailers and not had a borked one yet. Also some sellers like to send vinyl next to the outer sleeve rather than inside it – mailing inside can split the sleeve at the edges, and these things matter to the hardcore collectors!

thepodge
    Free Member

http://www.tramikisupplies.co.uk/index.asp is your friend. i have sent thousands of 7" and 12" records using their mailers. never had a problem

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any one post vinyl?’ is closed to new replies.