Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any one had a tow bar fitted to family car? Mazda 5 MPV
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Any recommendations? Or warnings.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Witter. Fit a witter tow bar.
    It’s not hard to DIY in a lot of cases. A few bolts and some simple electrical connections. Some cars need bits cutting or drilling though.
    I can recommend thetowbarmansouth.co.uk if you’re in his area.

Fat-boy-fat

Go to indespension. I’ve had 4 towbars fitted by them 9 er the years. Great service and top quality service. They’ll also give you guidance on what make, etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I fitted my own to my c-max, the electrics were a time consuming faff as I didnt have a wiring diagram to follow so had to trace each one back from the bulb, and dont use the horrible scotch block connectors they supply. The mechanical bits were really straightforward.

I just ordered the generic budget one from towequipe.co.uk and it turned out to be a witter one anyway. Ford fit westafalia and apparently their kit plugs straight into the ecu as a result, but it does then need the programing done by a garage.

danbarker

I had a Thule tow bar fitted to my Mazda 5 at a local towbar fitting place. They changed part of the bumper internals and they did have to cut a hole in the bottom of the bumper. Took the garage about 3-4hrs but looked good afterwards.

If you want any info let me know.

garage-dweller

There was a thread on here about Renault cars a few weeks back, which suggested If the car is canbus wired be careful. Straight wiring in can confuse the car into thinking there are all sorts of weird issues. Also without the right plug in module bit I think some ecu / traction control / stability systems do not behave themselves well (or as well add they should) while towing.

Oh and tell your insurer or it could void your cover (despite what your policy may say about covering third party risks while towing – this doesn’t mean you don’t need to declare the tow bar).

anagallis_arvensis

We got one from some website or other. It was delivered and then a local guy called up and made an appointment to fit it. Couldnt be simpler.

anagallis_arvensis
    molgrips
    Free Member

Two ways to fit a towbar to a modern car. Using the electronic module ot just wiring it in. The former is more expensive but the car’s ESP then knows about the trailer and the state of the bulbs etc.

Towbarexpress.co.uk did mine, good service.

br
    Free Member

Just get a couple of local quotes, and go with one of them.

And some cars are really expensive, and others are really cheap – no idea of yours.

paul4stones

I’ve had one fitted to a VW Passat by Stanley Towbars – excellent, efficient service. They book you in, it takes an hour, that’s it.

Then I’ve had one fitted to a Mazda 6 by a chap who came to the house. Took him about 5 and a half hours and many many cups of coffee. Slightly cheaper, was supposed to be something other than a Witter but in the end he fitted a Witter for the same.

End result was the same but different ways of getting there. I wouldn’t fancy it myself and I’ll tackle most things!

Jaz1979
    Free Member

I had a witter fitted to my Mazda5, was tempted by the Thule bar as well – took them the best part of a morning to fit it in their workshop. Moved the fog light to the right to fit it okay. It all works fine but want to move the electrics (the OCD in me, its sticking out the rear like an abnormal nipple)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any one had a tow bar fitted to family car? Mazda 5 MPV’ is closed to new replies.