Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • any of you lot ride a unicycle
  • firestarter
    Free Member

thinking of getting one to play around on would i be better with 20 or going straight for a 24 inch one
    cheers

sturmey
    Free Member

I foolishly bought one a while back. First sit on it and I thought it was the most unbalanced thing you could ever try to master. Took about 2 weeks to get to the point of self starting and able to ride just about where I wanted on tarmac. The downsides were incredibly bruised insides of thighs from trying to grip the thing as it flew off when I lost my balance and bruised backs of calfs from pedals but both those things heal pretty quick so give it a go. I haven't ridden it for a long time but last week got back on again and after 10 mins was back to my mediocre standard. Just remember your kids if like mine will not take kindly to you taking it with you to the park after a while (the shame of dad). Mine is a 20" wheel and good fun.

firestarter
    Free Member

lol 😉 i think the kids will play more than me so 20 is prob the way to go. lidl are doing them on thurs for 35 quid but im away so will no doubt be all gone by the time i return (and they may well be pooh lol)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have one – a 20" one. My understanding is the smaller the wheel the easier it is to ride. However once you master it the smaller wheel is limiting as your feet whizz round and round while you just roll along

redthunder
    Free Member

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I've a 20" and used to be able to ride it along streets and around corners, but I never mastered the standing still riding.

I've not been on it for a coulpe of years and I'm rusty, so I need a refresher when I get a couple of hours spare

Starrman28
    Free Member

I got one at Xmas, I can ride it but cant stand still on it yet, good fun. It's got to improve your balance but my wheelies are yet to get better.

When I can do this I'll be happy…. 🙂

trout
    Free Member

one of the very first Lights last year went to a guy for mt-unicycle riding at night .
    sent me some pics of riding Snowdon

Be straight to A&E for me to have a go

onewheelgood

You'll definitely find a 20" easier to learn on. I learnt on a Pashley 20" muni before buying an Onza 24", which is much better offroad. Lidl on Thursday?

Kuco

Is it also compulsory to also learn juggling and wear a red nose as well ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I went straight for a 24 – harder to learn but opens more doors once mastered……ammused the office by riding it into work one day – 4 miles By cycle path

theflatboy
    Free Member
    gojo
    Free Member

I bought one for my other half for Christmas off ebay. There's loads on there for about £35.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got a 20", got to the point where I could ride for a while, but could never get independently going, not been on it since last summer…and I'm almost back to square one!

Cougar

Couple of mates of mine unicycle. One's been doing it a while, does miles cross-country like a one-wheeled MTBer; the other's learning.

The latter's just asked me to pass this on:

RealMan
    Free Member

Great fun. Here's my 20". When I'm good enough I might look to get a 24" and try some proper off road stuff. Been riding a few steps recently, its tricky.

MrGreedy

So are those Lidl ones likely to be any good? Any other suggestions for potential beginners?

RealMan
    Free Member

Stick with it. Its hard to begin with, and you will spend more time falling off then anything else. But then suddenly it will just click, and you'll be laughing.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

My big brother (who I idolised) had one when I was growing up, so as soon as I was tall enough (I think I was about 11), I got on it and got the hang of it in a couple of days. Though I was never as good as my Brother. His was a 24" old school thin tyred jobbie as this was about 15 years ago. It was fun at the time, but I can't say it's a skill I've found much use for!

My friend got one for his birthday a few months ago but I didn't want to try properly as I was about 7 months pregnant! Wouldn't mind a go now though, just to see if I've still got it after all these years! 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘any of you lot ride a unicycle’ is closed to new replies.