Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any NS surge owners out there ?
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

thinking of buying one and wondered what they are like ?

minzo
    Free Member

They are great, love mine! Its the older type frame though, same geo but the newer ones are a little lighter and have adjustable drop outs. Get one!

steezysix
    Free Member

Really nice bikes, would definitely recommend one. Old review, but worth a read
    This is mine and I love it:

_tom_
    Free Member

Each time I see a Surge I want one, especially that one steezysix! I’ve had a ride on one and really liked it. Despite being a bit longer than the BFe I had it felt more lively and fun to ride, I guess due to the shorter chainstays. Considering getting one when I have the funds.

mrbump
    Free Member

ive got a 2011 surge. i run it with 140mm revelations. the main reason i went for the surge is the it has a much lower bottom bracket than most the other steel frames, which makes it far better for cornering and more confident handling. it also has a really lively feel. it does have a bomb proof build and though its only a fraction heavier than a blue pig, it does have a stiffer ride due to the bigger seat/chainstays.
    i use mine for allday rides, all mountain hammering and downhill runs and ive just fitted a dropper post ,so i will be doing some enduro racing on it this year.
    i can’t see another steel frame out there that i would rather have!

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

that’s just what I like to hear ! 🙂 I have ordered a large and i’m 5ft 9 on the website it says it’s like a 17.5 inch frame which is perfect for me with a short stem

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

bike looks good steezy six

mrbump
    Free Member

i’m 5’9 and i have the medium. perfect size for me with a 50mm stem. the top tube is long enough even for 4hr + rides.

jackal
    Free Member

mrbump – Member
    i’m 5’9 and i have the medium. perfect size for me with a 50mm stem. the top tube is long enough even for 4hr + rides.

Can you get enough extension on the seat post to pedal properly? Is it a 15″ seat tube (centre to top)..?

😀

chvck
    Free Member

I had a surge until very recently (swapped the frame out for a Bfe) and they’re a fun frame. I’m 6′ tall and had a medium so it wasn’t really ideal for all day rides and was starting to hurt my back a bit! I ran a 430mm seat post and could just about get away with it at a height so I could pedal properly.

i run it with 140mm revelations. the main reason i went for the surge is the it has a much lower bottom bracket than most the other steel frames, which makes it far better for cornering and more confident handling

I found a few times that the lower BB could be a bit of a pain in ruts due to pedal striking both sides!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

LOVE my surge.. 2nd year on it now and i ccant see me getting rid any time soon. XC DH and everything inbetween, its a properly nice frame save for the paint but then again im scruffy too so we make a good pair..

I’ll upload a pic later in the week 🙂

enjoy!

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

chvck, you shoulda just got a longun.. im 6ft and it suits me perfek! bfe’s just look a bit.. well sh*t imo.

The stanton slackline is the only other steel frame i’d consider for this type of bike.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Love the Surge so much I had two… A 2009 17in with Pikes for general XC / AM and a 2010 15.5in with Lyriks for DH only duties. Still got the DH rig. I get a beating on an uplift day but its superb fun. Have the 17in frame (black) for sale at £130 if anyone is interested….

steezysix
    Free Member

Cheers, you won’t regret getting one! I’m about 6’1″ and got a medium as I’ve always been used to smaller bikes. If I was buying again I’d go for a large, but I normally just swap between a 50mm and 70mm stem depending on the ride I’m doing.

_tom_
    Free Member

Out of interest what’s the approx bb height with your average 2.35″ tyres?

mrbump
    Free Member

i think mine may be a 2010 because it measures 15.5 inch. in 2011 ns changed the sizing slightly and the med. is now 15 inch. not sure how much the top tube changed though.
    seatpost length is not a problem at all,i only run a 350mm!
    the advantages of a low bb far out weigh having to know when to pedal over rough stuff. i dont have problem with pedal strike.
    will measure bb height tonight.
    the stanton does look very nice.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

What is the frame weight of a surge , is it over 6lbs ?

steezysix
    Free Member

I think it’s around that – quoted on the website at 2.73kg = 6kg

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

that’s fair enough at least it will be strong ! I think with a flexy 27.2 seat post it should be quite comfy ?

steezysix
    Free Member

It’s a beefy frame for sure, but I’ve never found it too harsh – like most long travel hardtails, if you stick some big volume tyres (2.3+) on there it’ll be ace!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any NS surge owners out there ?’ is closed to new replies.