• This topic has 34 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by devs.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Any news from the Tour de Ben Nevis?
  • druidh
    Free Member

Or is everyone too busy recovering/celebrating?

kennyp
    Free Member

I got back from it an hour ago. Great event, and the weather mostly held. Mind you, after seven hours of getting increasingly sore on a hardtail I ache all over, and am probably only a beer and a half away from going on Wiggle and ordering something with bounce at both ends.

Great day out overall though.

finmac
    Free Member

After 7 hours of getting increasingly sore on a full suss, I too ache all over lol.
    Haven’t heard yet who won as the results aren’t online as of posting.
    Course was tough, saturated and long…..wasnt too keen on the hike-a-bike bit…….hill walking/climbing on steep loose wet rock for nearly an hour in Shimano shoes isn’t my idea of fun…..having said that, overall I enjoyed it, it was a challenging day and I’m glad I did it……very well organised too, although two of my dibs didn’t show up on my final time but no matter…….well done No Fuss and all motorbike marshals and helpers and to all who took part.

finmac
    Free Member

Results are now up.
    Why are some slower overall times higher placed than faster guys?

Tour de Ben results

stevious

What an amazing race. Anyone who likes to ride bikes should be forced to do it at gunpoint. For their own good.

Finmac – the placings are based on the ‘special stage’ points. The overall time just counts as one of the stages.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I must have a go next year.

More than credible performances from a couple of stwers – BJ (soulrider???) and JOJO appears to be top female vet

Well done to them and everyone else who competed

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

And Swavis (Gavin Belton) 🙂

Spey-Stout
    Free Member
    devs
    Free Member

133 out of 319 for me. Tough course. I am proper beaten up. Did it on summer season which was great on the steeper downs at the end but hard on the hikeybikey. I suffered a knackered seat clamp meaning I did a lot of it with the seat down. I managed to hodge it with a temp bush which was a valve ring. My crank arm came off which meant a mid stream bike wash to get the muck off so I could get it back on again but worst of all my big/ middle chainring bolts sheared so I had to limp home the last few km in granny. I found this race tougher than soloing the puffer but a very sore and snoozy day later I think I enjoyed it and will be back for a top 100 place. Well done to all that completed it.

Northwind

Jojo’s queen again… BORING.

Well done everyone!

jojoA1
    Free Member

Bloody amazing weekend. Hard as hell, but worth it. Well done everyone.

I’m just chuffed to have finished the 3 events (10 @ Kirroughtree, the Hope Endurance Downhill at Fort William and The Tour De Ben) for the “Orange/No Fuss Allrounder” and retained my ‘crown’ and had the pleasure of a worthy co-competitor (The awesome Rosie Holdsworth) this year.

Ben Arnott was ‘crowned’ King, taking the crown from last year’s winner, Steve Deas of ICycles Innerleithen.

Allrounder 2011 podium by jojoA1, on Flickr

DVATC1
    Free Member

Epic event. too much for me cos a lack of training but due to the points system I finished 74th overall and 24th in vets. Total time of 6 hours 8 mins but made my points on the two downhill stages. I need more mileage for next time.

GW
    Free Member

Jojo – Well done!! 😀 and are the final standings for the “Orange/No Fuss Allrounder” available to view anywhere online yet?

jojoA1
    Free Member

GW, not sure. There was a table sent out with the info for The Tour to show where we all stood going into the event. I’ll have a look… maybe need to start a separate thread in the name of more “mememememe!” time 😉

GW
    Free Member

go for it!!

no point winning anything if no one knows about it 😉

finmac
    Free Member

stevious – Member

Finmac – the placings are based on the ‘special stage’ points. The overall time just counts as one of the stages.

Doh!! That’ll teach me to read the route card and prepare properly next time. I was a little too nonchalant and turns out I rode right past the stage 2 finish dibber before the river crossing!!… so nil point for that section then! What a plank lol. That combined with a puncture and helping a crasher didn’t t do my overall position much good. Lessons learned for next year tho.
    Congrats to Ruari Watt, Hannah Barnes and Jo Cardwell ( Jo, I’m sure I remember you from school…. I was sat in front of you at the start outside Morrisons and I also needed the loo but was too scared to go in case I missed the departure lol 🙂 )

Well done all who finished, was a tough one.

rugbydick

Overdid, the “carbohydrate loading” in Fort Bill on Friday night and didn’t make the start line………. 😳

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

What a corking event.

Giving my bike the once over today I discovered that I’d worn through the pad, then backing, then piston, then seal of my rear brake, which sort of explains why it wasn’t up to much for the final descent…

I’ll be back next year to deal out some pain to stage 4…

marionheck
    Free Member

I also over did the carbo loading till 3am on friday night, and struggled my way around it with a banging head ache and dehydration. The cramp kick in just before the river crossing and moral dropped as I was not looking forward to cramping for the rest of it. To the guy who gave me some electrolytes by the river- you are my hero,if you are on here, let yourself be know as i would like to send you some beer!!! I think they made the difference between finishing and mountain rescue! I had to limp home and could not put any effort in otherwise I would cramp, but at least I managed to get home with some gentle spinning

great route though and the first descent was carnage, people falling off left right and centre as i went down it.

Will def come back adn do it again next eyar without the pre race piss up! and maybe a lighter bike!

A great event with great organisation, thanks to the marhsalls and all the that gave up their time to help put this event on.

swavis

shortbread_fanylion – Member
    And Swavis (Gavin Belton)

cheers shortbread 😀 I came in 39th but got 38th after the points 😕

A great event yet again. I rode it on a 100mm scandal and thought I’d really suffer but it wasn’t too bad, although I think assos literally saved my ass 😆

euain

I suffered a knackered seat clamp meaning I did a lot of it with the seat down. I managed to hodge it with a temp bush which was a valve ring. My crank arm came off which meant a mid stream bike wash to get the muck off so I could get it back on again but worst of all my big/ middle chainring bolts sheared so I had to limp home the last few km in granny.

I think I chatted with you for a while over the hike-a-bike.. it’s all a bit hazy, might have been somewhere else. I was on a StumpJumper, red top and number 1 on the front. Well done for beating the mechanical gremlins!

That last downhill was something else! Fantastic stuff. I didn’t know it was even there and I’ll definitely be back there for another go on it soon!

swavis

That last downhill was something else! Fantastic stuff. I didn’t know it was even there and I’ll definitely be back there for another go on it soon!

The Blue Crane I think it’s called. I’m sure it’s been used in a No Fuss event in the past as I’ve ridden it before, maybe relentless a couple of years ago. I stopped and put new front pads in at the top of it, glad I did 😀

moonboy
    Free Member

What a day!

That was proper fun and also (for me at least) a real challenge! Really really enjoyed this and defo doing it again.

Had man flu all week so dipped out of the latter carb load session on the friday (i think i met some of you guys by the sounds of it 🙂 )

Got round in 88th which is no too bad, well up for trying to crack 6 hours next year. Got massive cramp on the way round.

How on earth it was done in 3.47 by the guy out front I will never know, massive respect.

Well done the nofuss guys!

davidrussell
    Free Member

also over did the carbo loading till 3am on friday night, and struggled my way around it with a banging head ache and dehydration. The cramp kick in just before the river crossing and moral dropped as I was not looking forward to cramping for the rest of it

think i may have been chatting to you over stage 3 up the climb – was one of your mates a DNS because he didn’t make it out of bed?

everyone else i was speaking to was cramping chronically – myself included. never suffered it as badly as that though, it was torture.

great event though.

ps. massive respect for the 3.47 too but missing a stage dibber must have been crushing. 4th place (Dougal S) was in our group and he is astoundingly fit so god only knows how that guy eked out another half hour on those front runners.

moonboy
    Free Member

yep Mr DNS pulled off a massive move on Friday night by trying to down a bottle of single malt off the bar!

davidrussell
    Free Member

i have personal experience of hero manouveres involving single malt(s)before a big bike ride and let me tell you its neither big nor clever the next day.

or the day after…

marty
    Free Member

Cracking event.

Pleased with how I got on, but definitely needed to think a wee bit harder. Pee break and separate stop to sort out clothing on stage 2 and moronically stopped immediately after dibbing on stage 4 to fish out a couple of gels and fanny about with my pack.

All things to be sorted for next year…

euain

Got round in 88th which is no too bad, well up for trying to crack 6 hours next year. Got massive cramp on the way round.

I was 89th 🙂 Well done!

My placing definitely suffered in SS2 – had a puncture stopped and fixed it.. then realised I was about 20 feet from the end of the stage.. so walked over and dibbed doh! Tactical brain fail 🙂

It was a cracking event..!

winstonsmith

that was tough – not helped by falling off even before the kinlochleven dh bit and leaving some holes in my knee. only discovered yesterday that i had a small thumb fracture as well… 😳

pleased with 6 hrs 17, which included stops for the crash and a wee chat with two mates who happened to be walking the west highland way

oh, and no front brake for the last hour and half didn’t help either

scoobmw
    Free Member

Top top event. Really enjoyed KLL descent. Well chuffed with sub 7 hours. Clearly didn’t understand the stages thing cos hanging around Stage 4 after dibbing while wondering how best to attack it the next time I visit seems to have a somewhat detrimental effect on position, haha. Would do the me again though – had never seen that before.
    Buddy did that descent with F+R pads down to backing metal. Hilarious.

Gonna have to do this as a day trip in reverse sometime. Less hike a bike.

kennyp – you were only 5 seconds behind Pete on Stage 4 !! Rock on.

Great weekend ….

rugbydick

moonboy – Member
    yep Mr DNS pulled off a massive move on Friday night by trying to down a bottle of single malt off the bar!

I think it was rum actually, but I could be wrong.
    For some reason the bar staff were none too impressed.

davidrussell – Member
    its neither big nor clever the next day.

It certainly felt big and clever at the time…

ojom
    Free Member

I sold Ben an energy gel before he left on Friday – I reckon that was what made him King. Honest.

Well done again Jo – what do you win this time….?

marionheck
    Free Member

davidsrussel, I was on a Yellow tracer 2 and a green top, did we chat then?

davidrussell
    Free Member

Hi,

Yeah thats the one, i was suffering real bad with cramp at the time and i think you were too. one leg in front of the other stuff there 🙂

Good once you’ve done it though and theres always scope for improvement!

devs
    Free Member

Euain, if you are the chap from Aberdeen then yeah it was me. Hazy is a good description, most of the race was like that! I remember listening to some English chaps saying how gorgeous the scenery was and realised I hadn’t taken any of it in at all bar a gel stop above kll. Gonna have to ride it slow time some time soon now!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Any news from the Tour de Ben Nevis?’ is closed to new replies.