Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Any negatives to moving to Cheltenham area
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Im not sure the worst estate in Cheltenham would be half as bad as where i live in Oldham but it would be nice to get it right first time round. Might even be able to afford car insurance in Cheltenham as oppose to being ass raped as we are in Oldham, that will be nice.

Having moved from North London where i routinely got to frequent the estates i think Cheltenhams whilst no doubt ith their problems just don’t compare.

We saved £500 on one cars insurance moving from an EN1 postcode to a GL5 postcode!!!!!!!!!

bland

what we will save in insurance will pay our current mortgage, we need to get out before people realise they cant afford to live somewhere sh1t with, (and im sorry for saying it but i live here and therefore feel im in a fair position to comment – however fully expect to be shot down) loads of scamming, idle scruffy foreigners and locals who on the whole are happy on benefits/bordering on unemployable.

Sorry but its true, hence why i want out bad

Saddleworth is nice, small though but rains too much (said from the top of the moor in a cabin above Delph!)

Postcode lottery results for car insurance risk rating

GL Gloucester
    1, 4-5, 7-11, 13, 15, 18-19, 51, 53-56 . . . .. A
    2, 3, 6, 12, 14, 16-17, 20, 50, 52 . . . . . .. B

OL Oldham
    1-5, 7-9, 15 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . F *
    6, 16 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Refer
    10-14 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E *

F is as bad as it comes, the * means most wont touch you, Refer means people dont bother with insurance

£2600 for a Honda Accord Diesel Estate with a clean licence and 5years NCD. Who said worry about your bike being nicked in ‘Nam? Take it you mean if you go out on the Ale and leave it unlocked someone may see it as a free taxi home. We worry about our kids being stolen in Oldham!

Where do i sign

qwerty
    Free Member

Throw Stroud into your possible relocation sites too, its 15 miles / 30mins from Cheltemhan and is a kinda chav / bohemian / affluent area, the town is either organic or pound shops and i still can’t decide if its on the slide or the way up (but judging by what they’ve done to the cobbles recently sit going down 😉 ), lots of other potential spots around Stroud too. Oh – and the schools here seem to be pretty good, and it has a brewery.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stroud into your possible relocation sites too

And Zider with Rosie is still a contemporary documentary 😉

IHN

You’ll get a bit more for your money in Bishops Cleeve than in Cheltenham itself, and more again in Churchdown, which is towards Gloucester but importantly not in Gloucester.

I lived in Churchdown for about 6 years, as a place to bring a family up I’d say it’s pretty good (certainly I have good friends who think so).

East Gloucester suburbs (Longlevens) are pretty okay actually though.

Bishops Cleeve/Churchdown/Longlevens all easily bike commutable into Cheltenham, and also have excellent bus services into town too.

mrmo
    Free Member

Cheltenham does have a bike theft problem, mainly garages, but one case I know of of a house being broken into. Thieves turning up with angle grinders, so definitely being done with some thought going into it.

The suspicion is people being followed home, police don’t seem to be doing a great deal which is the pisser.

camster
    Free Member

Great thread!

Lived for 5 years in Chelts and loved it although it is expensive. Loads of good riding. I was raised in Minchinhampton nr Stroud and love that whole area.

If you don’t mind not living in a town, the outskirts of Worcester is but a short hop to Cheltenham and the Malverns. I live in Norton just minutes from J7 of the M5. Good access everywhere and good local schools. I’d add that Worcester is pretty good but not quite as nice as ‘Nam.

Local riding spots for us, Malverns for night rides (can be v busy otherwise), Wyre Forest, FOD and I’m keen to re-acquaint myself with my old stomping ground around Cleeve Hill etc having done the HONC recently.

Stoner is right about houses in the Eastern side of the hills lacking sunlight etc but I guess that’s reflected in the price. Malvern is lovely though if a little sleepy.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Any negatives to moving to Cheltenham area’ is closed to new replies.