Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any Nate's in the UK and are they any better than a larry in Mud?
  • tazzymtb

right before I give up this whole fat front thing as a fad for attention monkeys, are the nates decent enough in the mud over a larry to warrant tracking one down or do I just just sell the lot as larrys are possibly the worst tire in mud at speed ever (tried various pressures, still had more traction and grip out of a furious fred in mud)

if nates do actually offer a decent mud performance anyone got any?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not ridden mine yet, mtbr types say they rock in mud though.

Charlie got me mine.

singlespeedstu

They’re fantastic in the mud. I’d say the grippiest tyres i’ve ever used.

That bikemongol bloke had a couple left before christmas.

tazzymtb

I’ll give the purveyor of niche that is the monger an email then

sofaking
    Free Member

ditto what stu said

sofaking
    Free Member

didnt you have a Devist8er tazzy ?

if so any good ?

colournoise

IIRC Sofaking rolls on Nates in the claggy mud round here and rates them.

EDIT – too slow! Multiple other posts while I was typing.

slainte 💡 rob

29erconvert
    Free Member

just woundering what tyre psi your running up front? i’ve been running a fat front with a endo on the front (I know its not the best but does me fine)

epicyclo

There doesn’t seem to be any Nates in the country.

I could use one for the rear. Just fitted one to the front for the StrathPuffer.

If you find them in stock anywhere let me know (I’d need it by Friday 🙂 )

The Larrys are ok in deeper soft stuff, but they get exciting if it’s a thin layer on top of hard – which is when a narrower tyre would cut through.

devs
    Free Member

Have you phoned Bothy. They had a Nate sitting there when I bought my Tallboy in Nov (and also tried out the Pugsley which was awesome).

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Bit muddy this morning mr tazz??

tazzymtb

sofaking the devist8r is awesome but weighs a wee bit more than a nate, it is much much betterer than a larry though, so I’ll pop it back on and MTFU on the climbs until such time as husker du’s or nates arrive

tazzymtb

pop it was wetter than an otters pocket, and filthier than a night with Dita von tease, but a good ride although picto caught a dose of xc mincer on the brocton drop again 😆

ended up collecting waifs and strays along the way with various mammoth SS types playing as well and tom managed to ride without a single mechanical which may be a record!

have fun on the road bike?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

fun and roadbike arent happy bedfellows at the moment- punctured about a mile from home!!
    But was quite nice to ride from home and not have to scrape loads of slop from every orofice on my return!!

Picto
    Free Member

How rude!

Road riding is an aquired taste I think Pop. Stick with it, you will get there.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Still wimping out of the brocton slide I hear mr Picto- tut tut

Sold your obed yet 😉

JohnClimber
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Seconded

Picto
    Free Member

Bubble in my spririt level stem keeps shifting to the don’t do it section. Found a nice new bailing route though.

I think the Obed may be with me for life or until pull my finger out and fleabay it.

tazzymtb

it’s alright pop, PICTO has convinced me that this is the year I don my skinsuit and go time trialling with him, with that and racing with joolz I’m expecting to be a small hurty thing with very sore little legs for much of the year 🙁

SidewaysTim

We just had some Nate’s arrive. No Husker Du’s yet, but I can tell you they’re going to be £105!

Red Darryls just landed too 🙂

epicyclo

Used a Nate on the front and a Larry on the back in the ‘Puffer.

I had a lot of trouble on the deep mud on the descent (‘Puffer riders will know which one). It seemed to me my bike was aquaplaning over the top of it, and my progress was mainly sideways there. At the time I figured the flotation of the tyres was the cause.

On thinking about it later, I realise that the Nate was saving me and it was the back tyre that was the problem. The Nate didn’t washout even when the bike was almost flat speedway style, and enabled me to keep the front wheel pointed where I wanted regardless of what the back wanted to do.

It doesn’t roll as freely on harder surfaces as the Larry, but on soft surfaces it rolls nicely.

So to answer the original question, the Nate is much better than the Larry in mud.

SidewaysTim

Not tried Nate’s in anger yet (people keep buying them), but I took a ride around Hanchurch with an Endo rear/Larry front combination the other day. Now this has been fine on deep mud/churned up stuff so far, but in Hanchuch it was more a case of wet mud over hard ground. I was all over the place.
    Be interesting to go back with a pair of Nates and show the ground who’s boss 🙂

mocha
    Free Member

Nates in stock here too if anyone’s still looking

surlynot
    Free Member

Currently running Larry on the front and Nate on the back,

singlespeedstu – Member

Thirded!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any Nate's in the UK and are they any better than a larry in Mud?’ is closed to new replies.