Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • any MS SBS Experts here?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve got an SBS 2003 server which is approaching the 75 user limit so my question is are transition packs for SBS Still available? ( I’ve been advised no but thought it would be worth asking the stw collective )

Cougar

I think you’re buggered these days. Open Licensing replaced Transition Packs, the thinking is you can pay for what you actually need rather than “here’s Exchange, SQL Server, full 2003 Server, that’ll be a lot of money please.”

xiphon
    Free Member

Looks like they are still for sale, through what would appear ‘official’ channels?

I can still add it to my Insight shopping basket.

Do you have the option to move to 2008?

xiphon
    Free Member

According to their online sales chat person, it is available for both standard and premium

http://uk.insight.com/apps/nbs/results.php?K=SBS+2003+Transition+&x=20&y=13

Cougar

Do you have the option to move to 2008?

Bear in mind that there’s no in-situ upgrade option here – moving to 2008 involves “step 1: buy a new server” and then a lot of migration. (And you’d still have a 75-user limit.)

Cougar

According to their online sales chat person, it is available for both standard and premium

Ooh, that’s good to know.

By christ, they don’t half ramp up the price for no good reason with R2, don’t they…!

disco_stu
    Free Member

my original plan was to add a new windows 2008 server as a dc and then upgrade the sbs using the transition packs to take us over the 75 user limit.
    the transition packs (potentially) not being available might cause me to rethink this.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i spoke to one of the licensing sales reps at insight and confirmed what i feared that the transition packs are no longer avialable

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘any MS SBS Experts here?’ is closed to new replies.