Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Any Mountain Biking Groups in South Manchester?
  • NorthernStar
    Free Member

Anyone know of any groups in the South Manchester area that get out fairly regularly in the week or at weekends? Preferably riders that like a pint or two after a ride?

ourmaninthenorth

[siren]

binners to the forum, please. binners to the forum.

[/siren]

Yep. binners off here is one of the members of the South Manchester Massive, who do exactly as you want.

Trouble is, hora's one of 'em too.

nbt

South Manchester Massive, usual meeting point is Jackson's Boat (sale water park), 7.30ish Thursdays.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southmanchestermassive

Stockport Clarion ride on wednesdays from the Arden Arms near Asda in Stockport

Jon from Bicycle Smithy in Hazel Grove leads a ride every Monday, 7pm frm the shop
    http://www.bicyclesmithy.co.uk/

riggsy
    Free Member

Im from south manchester (handforth area)

may have to come along to the Thurs night ride for a blast/few pints 🙂

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Sounds good – does anyone on here know if this Thurs ride is on?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I believe in order to ride with this group you have to BE massive. There's a 100kg minimum 🙁

pypdjl
    Free Member

As mentioned, Stockport clarion usually meet at the Arden arms at 7pm on wednesdays, starting from Roman Lakes this week though, so don't turn up unless you like hanging around in supermarket car parks in stockport…

nbt

simonfbarnes – Member

I believe in order to ride with this group you have to BE massive. There's a 100kg minimum

Only if you;re allowed to take married couples as a total amount

nbt – 70kg and proud of it 🙂

xherbivorex
    Free Member

and i'm 85kg these days (and heading downwards)…

NorthernStar
    Free Member

If you include the weight of the bike plus a full Camelback then I could maybe just scrape past the 100kg mark.

I hope so, otherwise I best get down to Tesco's before Thursday to buy a shopping trolley full of beer and doughnuts – either that or I'll have to try and fashion some sort of lead sheet girdle to wear under the jersey, manufactured pikey style from the school roof at the end of our road 😉

Anyone who's commented actually from the Manchester Massive?

Bunnyhop

Waves-I'm a member and well under the 100kg ( only understand old money anyway).

xherbivorex-when are you next out for a spin?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

NorthernStar- i have the tshirt to prove it.

BH- i'm v tempted by the gisburn visit, to be honest… but it'll depend on whether i can get a few things sorted out as i'm insanely busy this week.

Hadge04
    Free Member

Would like to try the thursday session – beginners welcome??

FYI 1. Not at the 100kg mark – is that good or bad? 2. Will always be up for a pint of something after and 3. what happens if I'm the slowest rider there?

nbt

Hadge04 – Member
    Would like to try the thursday session – beginners welcome??

Yes, sign up to the mailing list and see where the ride's going to be

FYI 1. Not at the 100kg mark – is that good or bad?

Doesn;t matter either way. There's no limit, it's a vile rumour put out by the Bogtrotter Client Update and Networking Team. squad. Ermm (it kind of works if you read the acronym :))

2. Will always be up for a pint of something after

Sounds to me like you;ll fit right in. I got a 3 week ban for having a half after one ride (I'd had four pints before that mind, honest. I'm not gay or owt)

3. what happens if I'm the slowest rider there?

It's unlikely, but if you are then people will either
    a) wait, take the piss out of you mercilessly as you approach, then sprint off the minute you reach the group, or
    b)wait till you've got your breath back

it depends who's riding 🙂

hora
    Free Member

xherbivorex 85kg? Way to go! 🙂

I am 100kg but cutting right back on booze going forward. Anyway, I dont ride around South Manchester (Ive been bitten far too many times around Chorlton Water Park (no not by binners in a corset)

rockitman

You should come and join the Manchester Mountainbikers:

Manchester Mountain Bikers

Manchester, GB
    192 Members

Please see below for joining instructions (click ‘read more’)We are a friendly and diverse club dedicated to mountain biking. As the name suggests we are based in the Manches…

Check out this Meetup Group →

Think there's about 200 members now and there's usually 3 or 4 rides happenning every week everywhere from Redditch to the Lakes to the Peaks to Wales.

Great bunch of guys as well. Myself and Peachey (Peachos) frequent this board too.

Hadge04
    Free Member

nbt- Will sign up to the mailing list and see whats happening this week. Hopefully it'll be something I can try out.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hora- it's been easy. of course, not drinking booze helps a lot (although i didn't even when i weighed 110kg 5 yrs ago), but just riding a bit and being strict with portion control has been the key for me. i don't really even eat much differently; just less of it! my waist size has gone down by 10" over the past few years. it's great.

hora
    Free Member

bet there will be a few girls looking for some xherbivorex-action soon 😆

Hadge04
    Free Member

xherbivorex/hora – sort of palindrome action or "x" action? 🙄

nbt

Hadge – herbivore as he's vegan X-><-X as he's AA (I think?)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hora- i dunno. i'm still a bit too weird for a 40something bloke, you know…

and the X's are a straightedge thing jules. kind of outdated, as although i still don't drink/smoke etc, i don't really give a shit about the whole straightedge "scene" thing you know…

nbt

Scenes are for losers. Word.

Harry_the_Spider

North Manchester is where it's at.

FACT.

Hadge04
    Free Member

riggsy – same sort of area – are you riding with SMM Thursday (tomorrow)?

x..x – straightedge – is this a new version of bluesky and silo theories or the original?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

bluesky and silo theories…

i have no idea what that even is.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Any Mountain Biking Groups in South Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.