Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any mechanical designers in today?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Basically, I’m struggling to work out the best way to do a little job.

Making a new frame for my daughter and want to use a single-sided swing arm with a rear disc and single speed freewheel.
    I’m planning on using a front hub, in reverse, with the disc and freewheel on the same side.

My initial idea was to make a ‘carrier’ for the freewheel that is bolted onto the disc tabs (with the disc) and have a shaft that runs through the hub, bolted onto the swingarm, with a bolt on the free end of the hub.
    This would, basically, really on the 2 bearings in the hub.

This is what I’m thinking:

Is there anything I could do better?
    I need to be able to move the whole wheel to allow for chain adjustment as I’d like to be able to do that without tensioners ets.

Kahurangi

I’m at work so can’t spend much time on this, but couple of points-

How old is your daughter/how large is the load?

The force from the hub is now cantilevered instead of being simply supported at both ends – the axle has to be much harder. An old 20 mm though hub might be up to is with a steel axle. The clevis for the axle to fit in to would have to be quite wide to carry the moment from the axle. How wide is the mount for a Lefty?

The disc would be susceptible to contamination from oil on the chain.

You want a simple sliding/swinging dropout – there’s loads of these around to copy take inspiration from.

everyone
    Free Member

Have you seen Rob English’s project right?

I think he custom made the rear hub and axle but it might give you some ideas. He’s only got a front brake so that could be an option for you.

Forgot to ask, why not an ebb?

mickmcd
    Free Member

like this

same principle , this does 40 odd mph axles are 20mm but press fit fronts have only 20mm engagment in a plate but its a heavy press fit

fisha
    Free Member

It seems generally accepted that the drive cog and and wheel itself should be split across each side of the swing arm. That way, under drive, the pull of the chain on one side, is balanced by the resisting grip force of the tyre – making the net twisting of the axle on the swing arm much more balanced. So you diagram would read from left to the right

bolt – hub – disc – arm – freewheel – bolt

I’d also agree with the comment of an EBB. A sliding dropout is reducing your ability to stop cantilevering of the axle – it simply cant be supported all round if there is a cut out of the support. It also means you dont need to have sliding mounts for the brake caliper either.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m with fisha, split the disc and freewheel either side of the swingarm. Think Ducati 916 swingarm for example.

Again, ebb would solve the chain tensuonung issue.

Pierre

As a separate issue I didn’t see mentioned in a skim-read through the above, be wary of having something oily right next to, or in the centre of a brake disc. You’re going to have to keep the chain very clean or provide some means of catching the tiny oil droplets flung out from that chain, or otherwise protecting the disc, to keep the pads from becoming contaminated very quickly.

Sorry!

Jamie
    Free Member

As a separate issue I didn’t see mentioned in a skim-read through the above, be wary of having something oily right next to, or in the centre of a brake disc.

😉

unovolo
    Free Member

What about a left field idea, as someone else said I’d be concerned about grease/oil from the chain and freewheel contaminating the disc so with that in mind what about going belt drive which would also reduce the danger of any finger/spiky cog interaction.

Secondly instead of having the freewheel at the rear ,have a fixed cog/pulley at the back which should be easier to mount and figure out how to have a freewheel mounted on the chainset instead.
    For a small child the gearing shouldn’t be too much of a issue.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Millyard racing did something like this

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You can also buy (or you used to be able to) trials bikes that had the freewheel on the crank. Monty probably make them

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses, some useful things to thing about.

How old is your daughter/how large is the load?

She’s a slight 5yo, 16.5kg at the mo.

Indeed, hadn’t thought of that. Belt drive might be the way to go..

Forgot to ask, why not an ebb?

Will look into that.

like this

Yeah, that’s the sort of idea. Is there just a bolt going through the hub?

split the disc and freewheel either side of the swingarm

That could work. I was thinking of having the swingarm on the right side but could do left with brake left. Only issue could be the exposed drive on the right?

what about going belt drive

Looking into that now.

the freewheel on the crank

THat’s also an option. Just found these….140mm arms, standard freewheel fitting: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/cranks_pair/jitsie_forged_kid_cranks/c514p13254.html

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Have you actually done any calculations of force then? She might be slight, but if the parts are designed to be supported on both sides then you really should establish that the forces in this usage case are comparable.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Having the brake and the drive on opposite sides of the arm will help the forces, but one of them will be much more exposed to damage and possibly snagging fingers. If you put the drive on the hub and the brake outside, it would be easier to enclose/guard the brake somehow and have the drive protected inside the arm. The main problem with this is that the axle then has to rotate in the swing arm, rather than being rigidly fixed/pressed in place.

Could you used a fixed sprocket at the back, and move the disc brake to the cranks?! It would simplify your back end loads, but there are downsides to having a disc by your ankles. Not sure if you could apply a brake to the chainring, but have the cranks on a freewheel. I guess your daughter doesn’t want a fixie?

ulysse
    Free Member

Kids and disc brakes.
    Finger chopper off-ers

IA

Hub coaster brake? Then you just need to make the drivetrain work…

unovolo
    Free Member

Giant did a folding bike a few years ago called the ‘Halfway’ that had monostays front and rear, might be worth tracking one down or doing some research on them.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thats a mike burrows designed giant i think. Ask him?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any mechanical designers in today?’ is closed to new replies.