Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Any Marreid Folk NOT have a joint account.
  • shooterman

I had thought this was par for the course but the wife refuses to open one.

Are there any other married people who don't have a joint account?

druidh
    Free Member

We have a joint account.

And I have my own one too.

nuke

Only have joint accounts (All with same bank) and a joint CC.

Don't understand the whole separate account thing and the need for them…whats mine is hers and vice versa.

Stoner
    Free Member

we have personal current accounts and savings account and a joint current account and saving account. All our income is split evenly though, with enough going into the joint current to run the household, and an equal amount each goes into our personal accounts for us to do what we like with.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Never had one and thats now nearly 20 years

PePPeR

We're now like druidh, but for years and years we had our own separate accounts, these days we have a joint account which we both put the money for bills into, but to be honest it wouldn't really matter just having an account each.

NZCol

Joint CC but no joint acc

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Not only do we have seperate acounts, they are with different banks – always keep your money spread out – we even have a different bank for our savings…

richcc
    Free Member

We each have own accounts and then when both working each put money into that account for house, food and bills.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Separate bank accounts here. I don't understand why we'd need to have a joint one – we run a joint budget and both know whats going on with each others money so no need to setup a new one…

djglover
    Free Member

We have a joint account for kid's stuff, food, bills, mortgage etc . And our own for bikes, handbags, or what ever other frivolous purchases take our fancy.

It's good to have some financial independence IME, then there's no guilt for your money weaknesses.

martyntr
    Free Member

We bth have our own accounts and pay or own share of the bills…. happy after 7 years… don't think it's going to change any time soon…

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

separate accounts for me and mrs b = 22yrs of married bliss :wink:- not going to risk it all by getting a joint one now

crikey
    Free Member

Hah! Joint account!

Get to ****!

No way, not ever ever ever ever.

Tesco may get a significant proportion of my wage, but better that than Jimmy **** Choo.

theotherjonv

when we were first married my wife had CCJ's against her and keeping separate accounts enabled me to get better mortgage rates, etc. Now we're used to it I can't honestly see any reason to change. She is a 2nd card holder on one of my CC's so that effectively acts as the joint account, and I give her a monthly cash allowance into her bank account (yes, really!) while she isn't working / bringing up the kids

bear-uk
    Free Member

Joint and single for me, but best of all is the massive slush/biking fund hidden in the garage :mrgreen:

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

We have one personal joint account and seven accounts for the businesses for which we are joint directors, including a Euro account.

Missus also has a solo account – I know my place! :mrgreen:

tyger
    Free Member

25 years of joint account – never saw the point of separate accounts, we love each other, what's mine is hers and vise versa

cinnamon_girl

Do you not have a bike habit?

You need to cover your tracks and what better way than your own personal account 🙄

Plus a joint one for dull things like mortgage, bills, food.

glenh
    Free Member

Never had a joint account, purely because I can't see the point.
    We split our expenses relative to our incomes, so why bother changing our existing accounts?

br
    Free Member

Separate accounts for us; we each pay for our own stuff/hobbies/cars/expenses and I cover the house and associated costs while the wife pays school.

Don't worry about percentages and all that crap.

GrahamS

(Think we've done this before but..)

My wife and I have our own personal accounts that our salaries are paid into.
    Then we both have standing orders to a joint account that all the mortgage, bills and stuff come off.

Makes budgetting nice and easy: what's left in our personal accounts is ours, what's left in the joint at the end of the month is surplus that gets transferred into savings account.

Drac

Separate accounts I love her, what's mine is hers and vice versa, we also trust each other so no need to have joint account.

ton

all my wage goes into the only building sociaty account we have.
    i take nothing back from it…..ever.
    all the stuff i buy is from money i earn on the side.

MrOvershoot

After 27 years together, 11 of them married we have never had a joint account.
    Is that wrong?

luke
    Free Member

I've got 2 single accounts in my name, the wife has access to the joint account which only recieves the family allowance payments.
    When we got married we both worked and had our own accounts, but put equal amounts in to cover the bills, when the wife stopped working she closed down her personal account, and i didn't see any point in moving money from one account to another so I pay all the bills from my single accounts. I have to sources of regular income and it's easier for them both to go in to seperate accounts, the wife just asks if she wants more money than whats in the joint account.

prettygreenparrot

Joint account? Why would you want that? 1 account each. Considered a 'household' account but it seems better just to split the direct debits between us. Some joint 'savings' accounts to handle shuffling of money or putting aside.

richmars

Joint account, plus paid an allowance into two individual accounts for personal stuff (me: bikes). Seems the simplest way.

teagirl
    Free Member

Been married 16yrs, never had joint account, spouse does standing order to my account now as I don't work enough. Well, that's not strictly true I work hard running the family etc but don't have full-time employment. Thought about having a joint account recently but didn't bother, I'm kept in penury….

el_diablo
    Free Member

Been maried a year but been together 13. About 10 years ago when we got the first house we started with a joint account and kept separate ones too. Then we got an off set mortgage which was the best thing we ever did. Everything went into the 'one account' including our individual savings and the mortgage just dropped so quickly. Everything still goes into one pot, but is spread across a few savings accounts. We're married so it's all ours, even though I earn double what she does. Can't see the point in separate accounts. If we ever split up, which I don't envisage, I'd get screwed anyway!

The wife is great at managing our money and still lets me have £5ks worth of bikes in the garage!

shooterman

The wife is great at managing our money

Lucky you!

DrJ

As before – what GrahamS said.

All very well this "I love her and she loves me" BS, but how can I make a sacrifice and buy MrsJ a nice present that means something special if I do it with her money from a joint account?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

(Think we've done this before but..)

My wife and I have our own personal accounts that our salaries are paid into.
    Then we both have standing orders to a joint account that all the mortgage, bills and stuff come off.

Makes budgetting nice and easy: what's left in our personal accounts is ours, what's left in the joint at the end of the month is surplus that gets transferred into savings account.

This is how we manage as well – not married but 30 yrs together and never a row about money – only there is never a surplus to save

AndyP
    Free Member

Separate accounts.
    GrahamS +1.

flip
    Free Member

I would have never had a joint with the ex, but didn't hesitate to have one with my new wife.

I have a bike habit but she's cool about it, i can never understand 'covering your tracks' are you adults?

Spend money you've got but no more never get a credit card unless you pay it off every month 😉

AdamML
    Free Member

We've got a joint current account and a joint bills account, and my bike habit has to come out of the current account. Won't touch a credit card, which probably makes me a bit odd.

Five years and no rows about money here either – not quite the length of time as as some of the above though…

ART

Together 17 years, separate accounts, no plans on changing, works just fine. Seems from the above plenty of other people do that too. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

We have joint savings account but seperate current accounts, don't see any need for joint current accounts. The converstaion hasn't come up in 20 years together.

jon1973
    Free Member

Spend money you've got but no more never get a credit card unless you pay it off every month

Who are you? Martin friggin' Lewis?

SiB
    Free Member

never had joint acc, I suppose just never got round to it. Im quite lucky though as wife pays everything (from mortgage to food shopping), my wage gets spent on me, kids and bikes. Saturday shopping expeditions are usually done with my card…….but without me. Its always worked, why change

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Any Marreid Folk NOT have a joint account.’ is closed to new replies.