Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any Kindle experts out there please?
  • cinnamon_girl

Please bear with my bimbo questions!

I have a new model Kindle Paperwhite on order that will arrive in November. If I couldn’t wait til then and wanted to download books to my PC, would I be able to upload them to the Kindle when it arrives?

Thanks very much. 🙂

RustySpanner

Yes, no problem. 🙂

Just sign up for a Kindle account and you can download the content to any device you choose.

Really simple and easy to use.

stumpy01

Yes. If you buy them and then link the Kindle to that account once you’ve got it, they will automatically download, once a wi-fi network is set-up and connected.
    Or you could probably just plug it into the computer as well (never tried this, myself).

Why not just add books to your wishlist though and then buy them when the Kindle arrives? Or do you also want to view them on the PC before the you have the Kindle?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies.

The books are really for the Kindle and I’d rather read them on that than the PC. November seems ages away although I did see it mentioned yesterday that Xmas is 100 days away. 😯

Just being impatient. 😳

stumpyjon

The Kindle is really good for syncing stuff, we have one account feeding 3 kindles, two tablets and one smartphone. I really love the fact that you can read on your tablet and when you pick it up to read it on the Kindle it’ll sync to where you’ve read to.

spudly1979
    Free Member

if you use calibre you can manage your books much like itunes manages your music. I’ve got loads of books on my PC which were bought online then transferred to my kindle.

avdave2

if you use calibre you can manage your books much like itunes manages your music.

If only itunes were as good as calibre.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again. Been looking at the Kindle forum and have seen Calibre mentioned.

cinnamon_girl

Also, I had assumed that you could download mags to a Kindle but apparently not.

ThePinkster

You can download some, e.g. SingleTrack but you don’t get as many images with it as you would on a tablet version of it, and being monochrome they’re not quite as impressive.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, sounds as though it’s not worth bothering about then.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah the stuff you buy from Amazon is in their ‘Cloud’ sort of thing. You buy the rights to it and you can download it to anything when you want. Only applies to electronic media though, sadly you can’t get the paper version of a book you’ve bought on Kindle. However you DO get the rights to download the MP3 version of a real CD that you buy, which is kind of cool.

Also, I had assumed that you could download mags to a Kindle but apparently not.

You can – there’s a magazine and newspaper section on the Kindle store, but there’s not that much in it. But you can download a Kindle version of STW from the site – you eithe have to do it from the device or with a PC and copy/email it over.

Stuff from the store is cool because it gets pushed to your device every day/week/month automatically. STW doesn’t do this afaik.

stumpy01

molgrips – Member

Only applies to electronic media though, sadly you can’t get the paper version of a book you’ve bought on Kindle.

I thought I read somewhere recently that they will soon be letting you buy books you have bought physical copies of (from Amazon, of course) as Kindle versions at a massive discount. So not free, but perhaps better than nothing? Dunno what a ‘massive discount’ is though?

spudly1979
    Free Member

that’ll depend on the publisher. I buy quite a lot of Black Library stuff (yes, geek) and they won’t allow amazon to sell their e books, but you can buy the actual physical books.

Gutted about it as amazon is far far far cheaper for e books than their official site – i can’t see how you can justify the same price (or sometimes significantly more!) for both a paper copy and an e book. Charge me a fair price by all means, but you can’t tell me its the same!

penguinni

Sorry to intrude but may I ask a question…

I just bought a book via Amazon and it was downloaded to Kindle on my iPad. Can I “lend” this book to a friend who has a Windows laptop only?

Thanks

P

Cougar

If you can lend it at all then yes, the platform is irrelevant.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can’t officially lend books.. there may be a way to hack this but I’m not sure there is.

Cougar

I thought it depended on the book / publisher?

I can’t recommend unlawul deeds on the forum, so whatever you do don’t use Calibre to strip the DRM. Otherwise you’ll be able to copy it with impunity, which would be wrong.

lerk
    Free Member

It is possible, but not easy…
    Once set up with several program’s which your average joe pc user wouldn’t ordinarily have, it’s fairly painless – but getting to that point took some head scratching!

Google is your friend – see deDRM

stumpy01

molgrips – Member
    You can’t officially lend books.. there may be a way to hack this but I’m not sure there is.

I thought you could lend/borrow books if you were an Amazon Prime customer. Not sure if that’s just from a pool of books or from a specific other account holder.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any Kindle experts out there please?’ is closed to new replies.