Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any joiners in the house?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just trying to keep this civil with the builders doing the extension, so I’ll stick to the facts ma’am.

– Door frame and firedoor fitted. Has a mortice lock which locks fine into the door keep/frame.

– But they’ve ordered the wrong door so it has been replaced.

– When the new door has been fitted the lock no longer works as it’s about 3mm lower than the door keep from the original fitment.

The builder is stating this is what can normally happen and it’s not unusal to have to adjust the door keep.

I’m thinking why to I have to have the nice new door frame hacked albeit by a few mm’s.

Am I being picky? (or to use the builders terms ‘taking the p**s’).

Interested in comments from joiners if this is what you’d expect. I know the door has been done the wrong way as I’d expect you’d fit the door lock first and put the keep on afterwards but as mentioned above that wasn’t an option.

tiggs121
    Free Member

A bit picky but not much!.

Your joiner can remove the keeper and file the slot down 3mm and trim the door standard underneath. That way you won’t see any damage to the standard as you would if the keeper is moved.

Agree about the order of work.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cheers tiggs. Keep seems to be metal lined too so don’t think there’s enough overhang to file slot down enough.

God, if they think I’m picky they haven’t met the missus yet in full flow (which they’re about to experience to morrow) 😛

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Did the new door arrive on site with the lock fitted or was the joiner unable to fit the lock to the keep?
    Ask them to replace the door frame;That’ll show them what taking the p!ss is all about.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It was a blank (fire) door. We removed the lock from the original door to fit to it. The joiner was unable to measure/cut precisely enough to fit the lock to the incumbent keep.

project
    Free Member

If its a fire door for security, ensure its not a chipboard core one as they offer little security, and just have two pine rails down each edge, with chipboard in the rest of the door.

If its a fire door to resist the spread of smoke and flame, then the door needs to be fitted with 3 x 4 inch CE marked fire door hinge, intumescent smoke seal, and also intumescent seals eachj side of the ock in the mortice and behind the hinges.

3 mm out of line isnt a lot, but usually recievers on mortice locks have quite a bit of an allowance top and bottom in case door drops orneeds to be lifted slightly.m

thehustler
    Free Member

It was a blank (fire) door. We removed the lock from the original door to fit to it. The joiner was unable to measure/cut precisely enough to fit the lock to the incumbent keep.

Then its the joiners error and his to sort…….

………or get a joiner that can measure

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

I don’t think this is a major problem and certainly not one to fall out over. Carpenter and joiner here with many years in workshop and onsite. Take keep out, slice a decent size price of wood into the old hole glue in, once set trim to suit new keep position. 20 min job tops, plenty of time to ride. Any more help needed feel free.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

Damn iphone typos; ^splice an appropriate sized piece of wood….^

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Am I being picky?

IMO yes. I assume it’s a painted softwood frame and not a hardwood frame (a hardwood frame with a door blank would be strange) Move the keep 3mm, fill and paint the 3mm gap, no one will ever know. Focus on worrying about more important stuff which actually matters.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any joiners in the house?’ is closed to new replies.