Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any jewellers on here?
  • spooky_b329

Just a quick one…

I’ve bought a Palladium wedding ring from an independent jeweller that makes his own rings.

Its a a flat ring, and the various profiles weren’t discussed when I was choosing the ring.

I’ve only worn it for a few hours as I’m unsure whether it needs to be a tad bigger, but I’m finding the flat edges quite sharp, the ring digs in quite a bit. Is it possible to reshape a ring from flat to flat court (curved on the inside) or is it more likely the jeweller will buy in the rings in their basic form and apply his own design to the surface. I’m also hoping that if it can be changed to a flat court style, it will be slightly easier to get over my knuckle and will remove the need for it to be resized.

Just want to know if its possible in case the guy doesn’t want the hassle and tries to fob me off.

spooky_b329

No? 🙁

Sim

I’ll ask my girlfriend when she gets in, she’s a jeweller.

spooky_b329

Thanks 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’m told by my jeweller fiance, that you can’t turn a flat into a court, or D-shape, but there is a ‘stretching’ machine that’ll push it out a bit (she says this will also make it less sharp). He could polish off the inside edge & round it off a tiny bit too.
    But yeah he probably has just bought in the ring from a wholesale supplier.

theotherjonv

hijack

could you ask your jeweller fiance how to tell what quality gold is. I have some old gold that is never worn and I’m considering sending to Hatton garden to cash in as I’ve read they give the most honest deals but how do i know what it is and hence what i should expect (if I don’t know will they just tell me it’s 9ct and rip me off?)

apologies

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Now I’ve seen some hijacks – but you get a gold star sir!

For the OP:

I initially got a normal type (gold) wedding band. It was fine in the shop. About 3 hours after signing the dotted line it bugged the hell out of me. Back to the jeweller and after some teeth sucking and tutting it was cheaper to buy a new ring with a curved inner. I dunno if that helps. The old one went on ebay – got around half my money back.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

could you ask your jeweller fiance how to tell what quality gold is.

put in in a bath and shout Eureka… or something like that

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If it’s hallmarked you could ask a couple of places to value it, for insurance purposes. If it’s not hallmarked, you’d need it to be checked first (by the assay office or on their own kit).

Alternatively, she says there are home test kits but she doesn’t know their cost/quality.
    She reckons tesco (believe it or not), are offering one of the best trade-in prices.

Sim

Here’s what my girlfriend says:

It depends on the depth of the ring- if it’s deep enough it could be made into a flat court shape. The inside edges can be filed off slightly which would make it more comfortable to wear. If it isn’t deep enough then it would just make the edges sharper I’m afraid.
    It could also be stretched up in size a bit if you feel it is too small, again depending on the depth.
    Could you post a pic of the ring and I could give you more of an idea?

Pauly

Pics of your ring or STFU

hughjardon
    Free Member

Must stop reading this thread, more fnarr fnarr than Finbar Saunders 😆

spooky_b329

Thanks…it looks like the ring has a good depth to the edge, will provide pic tomorrow. it feels more like the chunky tungsten rings I tried and decided against, I tried a ring in a highstreet jewellers that was a much lower profile and I think that was a court ring. When I ordered the arrangement was if i don’t like I don’t have too buy it so maybe they will consider the same design on a court ring.

Pauly, STFU 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

you’ve worn it for a few hours and it’s annoying you? I dare say you’ll get used to it over the next 30 or so years. But yes, it can be reprofiled to a certain extent, even if your jeweller won’t, a rat-tail file will do the job nicely.

spooky_b329

Best I can do with my phone camera, proper camera is broken 🙁

giantakali – I’ve worn it a few hours and its making my finger sore! I’d rather wear it, unlike my Dad who removed it after he got married and has never worn it since! And I’d rather sort it out before the wedding that afterwards.

Sim

The ring does look deep enough to be sized and/or filed at the edges. It sounds like it is too small- it shouldn’t hurt after a couple of hours wearing it. I would suggest either having it made bigger, or trying a different ring in a bigger size. If the jeweller makes his own stock then there shouldn’t be a problem sizing it up.
    Did he size your finger with a wide ring sizer before you bought the ring?
    The lined edges also shouldn’t be a problem on a court shaped ring, the place where I work has done plenty like that.

spooky_b329

Thanks for the reply. This jeweller was the only shop out of about 6 that used a ring sizer similar to the ring, and the only one to mention the ring size can be different with a narrow V wide ring. They also did 1/2 and 1/4 sizes. I have noticed on a couple of occasions I can get the ring on and off relatively easily but most of the time its quite tight and I have to twist the ring hard to get it over my knuckle.

Good to know the design (brushed centre with polished edges) can be replicated on a court ring…I had wondered! The shop doesn’t seem to have a website but I found a Google review from someone a few months ago who had bought a ring which needed to be slightly bigger, apparently instead of resizing it they just made a new one so fingers crossed…then I can get a court ring rather than this one being adjusted to a flat court.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any jewellers on here?’ is closed to new replies.