Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any ideas how to clean helmet straps ?
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

They are stained with mud and sweat, tried bleach but not really doing much.

On a specialized decibel helmet with white straps that cannot be removed.

Makes helmet look grim and nasty even though its clean, help please ?

(awaiting MTFU buy a new lid etc but need to keep the original bling in tip top condition)

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s a helmet – why does it matter if it’s a tad stained? Be careful what chemicals you use on them. Have you tried something like the old oxy stuff for stains?

wwaswas

I’d be wary of using bleach on anything cloth – it’ll tend to degarde the fabric.

Maybe try and dye it a darker colour as I suspect like white grips/saddles it’ll never go back to white…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Shower and clean your helmet in the shower. White kit & MTBing just don’t mix IMHO. Consider black/grey straps on future helmet purchases.

hels
    Free Member

Dettol.

Very hot water.

Bathroom basin or kitchen sink and leave to soak for a while.

Or in the bath works too, but won’t kill the nasty sweat germs.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i chose predominantly white kit when i can…. love how it gets muddy and the stains dont come out 😀 nobody can argue i dont go out and have fun on my bike!

lipseal
    Free Member

Wear it in the shower.

Cougar

Polishing your helmet… *purile giggling*

bob_summers

dishwasher?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The standard, manufacturer approved, way of cleaning a motorcycle helmet (generally non-removeable lining) is to use warm, not hot, water and baby shampoo. Should work just fine to clean and protect a cycle helmet.

hels
    Free Member

Hmm, I always take the face bits out of the motorbike helmet and run them through the washing machine with a wash – is this wrong ?? Needs done heaps as for some reason drool a bit more than usual…

philconsequence
    Free Member

sea sickness tablets should help that Hels….

jonb
    Free Member

Try neat washing up liquid or leave it to soak in luke warm soapy water.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

With this being in the chat forum I assume you are talking about some kind of fetish equipment ?

“They are stained with mud and sweat”

“Makes helmet look grim and nasty even though its clean”

Thats some weird fettish going on there….

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“Hmm, I always take the face bits out of the motorbike helmet and run them through the washing machine with a wash – is this wrong ?? Needs done heaps as for some reason drool a bit more than usual… “

I read about the method in a mag so checked with the Arai importer who had no qualms. Mind it does take a week to dry naturally.

As the cheekpads aren’t as critical to function, and have been removed, as the main lining I don’t suppose you will have done any harm with the hot water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any ideas how to clean helmet straps ?’ is closed to new replies.