Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any good riding near Swindon (Calne)?
  • mossman

Going to see my sis down there next week and I'll have my bike with me.
    Is there any good riding to be had south of Swindon?

dafoxster
    Free Member

Try here:

http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/

There's the Croft Woods trail and also the website has a few routes. You can always ride the Ridgeway from Avebury.

D

gusamc
    Free Member

get OS:50000 173. Swindon S towards Marlborough, See also Barbery (poss spelling) Castle (hillforty with cafe)just S of Swindon as a start (can also ride up hill to there from Swindon via mway footbridges (find lake in S Swindon nr J15 and L a bit follow paths S from there

(or can head E (maybe ENEish)and get to Ridgeway along to to Reading ann back on train – not technical nice views, most expensive railway line in uk per mile of travel i believe check ticket price)

(*sorry lunch – so terse reply)

LoCo
    Free Member

Cherhill downs and the combes behind near Calstone are worth a look.
    Also the Calne side of Roundway Down used to be quite good in places, this is quite old info but i doubt it's changed that much 😕

mossman

Cheers chaps
    Croft trail looks worth looking at, or a pootle up & down the ridgeway
    I'll go and see what OS maps Smiths/Waterstones have at lunch

lexiekay
    Free Member

Spirthill Trail You could try here. Think its about 15 mins drive from Calne.
    Haven't been since last summer but it was fun for an easy afternoon ride

loup
    Free Member

My fav local route – not technical at all. What I called my Neolithic ride!

Start at Barbury castle. Follow the ridgeway westwards to the A4. Then up the B4003 into Avebury – head east out of the village along the wessex ridgeway to cross the Ridgeway and then down towards the gallops/fyfied down heading for Rockley. Cross the road and head up the byway back to the Castle

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by good riding. There's plenty of miles of BOATs and bridleways set in rolling downland but nothing exciting or technical. Still if you want a good long ride with as good a wilderness feel to it as you'll get in the south of England then do the following circuit starting at where evers most convenient (in you case probably on the A4 near Cherhill). Apologies for the vague directions but I don't have an OS map here.

From Cherhill Down go north to Windmill Hill then east to Avebury. Continue east out of Avebury then south to pick up the end of the Ridgeway near its end and continue to the end of the Ridgeway at Sanctuary. Then make you way to East Kennet and pick up the White Horse Way going south west then when you get to Wans Dyke turn north west to Tan Hill. Then from Tan Hill make your way back to Cherhill Down.

mangoridebike

Don't forget the 'woods behing Nationwide' 😉

mossman

I have OS map 173 now and a bunch of highlighters.
    Not expecting Peak District type trails just something interesting
    and if I can check out standing stones / white horses on the way all the better.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Loads of Tracks around not overly technical my fav route is

Cherhill-Avebury(cafes but expensive)-West Woods (singletrack to be had here)-Marlbourgh (More Cafes)-Barbury Castle (no Cafe been burnt out)-back to Avebury then home.

Just pick any Bridlepath that heads in that direction and you'be fine
    enjoy

gusamc
    Free Member

if you go barcary castle W then ssW, then S, then E (well sort of) you will find an out of place pile of boulders on a slope – that's where the the ice age stopped and left debris .
    Issue was the heat from the M4 ;+)

pedalhead
    Free Member

I have some gps routes around Avebury, Cherhill Down, Devizes, Wansdyke etc if you're interested?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any good riding near Swindon (Calne)?’ is closed to new replies.