Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any good laptop deals ATM?
  • bennn
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a Dell inspiron M5030, on which the motherboard died a while ago. Which I had repaired outside warranty free of charge by Dell with a reconditioned board. Worked fine for around 6 months and now completely refuses to find any internet connections after being completely fine before shutdown the other day.

I think the WiFi receiver in the actual laptop is at fault, as it worked once of about 10times of powering off/on to try get it to work.

Gonna go shopping for a new laptop tomorrow, anyone seen any good deals about? Don’t really know what size memory etc to look for when laptop shopping, so advice on that would be good too. All I know is that I’d like something fairly slimline.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ben.

nickjb
    Free Member

If it is just the wifi you might be able to fit a new card. I replaced mine a while back and it was only £4 from ebay.

If you do want a new one have a look at saveonlaptops for some good prices and to give you an idea of what is available. Pretty hard to recommend something without a budget or any idea of what you want to use it for but they will pretty much ALL play films, surf the net, and be fine for general use.

bennn
    Free Member

I really only want something for web browsing/ the occasional picture etc. I’d be looking into a tablet if it weren’t for my iTunes music.

Where/how should I look for a new WiFi card? I’m currently limited to internet access on my phone at the moment

Thanks
    Ben

midlifecrashes

Just plug one of these in a USB port and carry on.

USB wifi

Otherwise this caught my eye in a newspaper ad.
    Lenovo i5 1TB at John Lewis

nickjb
    Free Member

Hopefully these will work on your phone

Wifi card, £3.40 delivered from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-M5030-WIFI-CARD-SAME-DAY-DISPATCH-/400504070783?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item5d3fe7227f

How to:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOGE2DNXJZ8[/video]

bennn
    Free Member

Is the WLAN card replacable by just removing the keypad then?

Thanks.. Again

jonnyrockymountain

That lenovo is very good spec for the money

nickjb
    Free Member

Is the WLAN card replacable by just removing the keypad then?

Looks like. Two screws on the bottom and three clips above the f keys to remove the keyboard, then one screw holds the card in

bennn
    Free Member

Sounds worth it for a few quid, will give it a shot, thanks!

That Lenovo is lovely, although slightly out of my price range.. was thinking about £300 +/-£50, I suppose if a new WLAN doesn’t work I’d best get saving!

bennn
    Free Member

New WiFi card turned up today, fault still the same.

Gonna take it to the local laptop place, see what they can do with it, seems that deal at John Lewis has expired..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any good laptop deals ATM?’ is closed to new replies.