Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any good deals on slx / xt cranks chainsets? Differences between 170 / 175mm
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Looking to change my RF cranks as they weigh over a kg.
    Anyone notice much difference between 170 and 175mm
    as there don’t seem to be many deals on 170mm.
    Cheapest I’ve found is ribble as they have 10% off too.
    Anything else around?

smurfly13
    Free Member

I really don’t have a good answer for you but I reckon I’d notice about a 5mm difference….. 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

With my leg length discrepancy Id probably pedal better with a 170 and a 175 mix.

binners

I’ve got a brand new XT crankset sat here. 3×10, 175mm. Never fitted. Was going to put it on but the rest of my drivechain is buggered so I’ve bought a full groupset. How does £90 posted sound?

Please buy them because I’ve a Pace Rc325 frame sat here, and I’m already thinking … “Well I’ve got a spare set of cranks…. ”

cloudnine
    Free Member

If they were 2×10 id have had them… but want to run them 1x

binners

Looks like the ‘hack bike’ project is go then. A brand new set of XT cranks doesn’t bode well for the ethos of a pub bike build. Oh well… 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

If they were 2×10 id have had them… but want to run them 1x

If you want to run 1x then surely you’re better off with 3x rather than 2x cranks?

nickdavies

1×10 yes better off with a 3×10 as you can’t get smaller than 34t (I think, could be 32) on a 2×10 due to clearance. Middle on a 3x gives perfect chainline, although the 2x tabs look a bit nicer.

Ribble probably cheapest ATM having a quick look – plus you can sell the rings to recover a bit.

The difference between 170 and 175 for me is the difference between knee pain limiting my rides to 10k and not, so massive. I switched to 170 and the pain cleared up. Could easily have been something else, but I’m putting it down to crank length as it was the only difference on the same bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hijack, i’ve been watching this thread with interest. I’m looking to replace a fsa comet double I got with my Norco, and I think the shimano cranks are much better?

Planning to stick with double for now then try 1 by 10 later. Converting a double will work fine right?

chrisdw
    Free Member

The double cranks are fine with a 32 t narrow wide. Got the deore ones.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok great thanks, would you recommend the deore ones?

chrisdw
    Free Member

I really like them. Mainly because I couldnt justify almost double the cost for something a bit more bling.
    The new ones seem a bit stiffer than my old ones and look a bit nicer. But they are cheap and do the job perfectly well.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im re-confused.. (easily done).
    Cant see me ever running smaller than 32t chainring and normally run a 34t. I thought the double cranks looked way better. Is it just the case of not being being able to run smaller than a 32t ring?

The other thought i had was regarding crank length. In theory would your seat be slightly higher for the shorter cranks?? Due to the bike i ride the seat post is very high when pedalling uphill anyway.. so slightly lower seat post would probably be better

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I thought the BCD is different on a double, 99% of these chai rings are designs for a 104BCD, so may not even fit at all.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I thought the xt and slx were all 104 and some of the xtrs where something else?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any good deals on slx / xt cranks chainsets? Differences between 170 / 175mm’ is closed to new replies.