Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any geologists in the house? rock content!
  • walla24
    Free Member

Do you know of a way to photograph thin sections?

I have a few sections that i made from material i brought back from dissertation research which i'd like include…but it would be good if i didnt have to draw them.

crikey
    Free Member

Some kind of light box?

walla24
    Free Member

hmmm thats a good idea…need something with a fair degree of magnification though mind

stuartie_c
    Free Member

+ macro lens

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

You need a microscope with a built in camera.

uplink
    Free Member

or a camera with a built in microscope 🙂

Kit
    Free Member

Yeah, don't you need 10x, 50x and 100x magnification? And are you taking photos with the polarisation on too? I imagine you'd need a camera built in to the microscope…

crikey
    Free Member

Just draw it!

walla24
    Free Member

yup ~100x max as its mostly fine grained rock.
    plane and crossed polars needed!

think i'm going to have to push someone in the department to find me a proper microsope/camera….they must have one somewhere!

anything to avoid my artistic failings!

walla24
    Free Member

crikey: seriously i cant draw. i did a couple modules which involved drawing thin sections and it wasnt too humerous 😯

Kit
    Free Member

When I did my degree, I loved the fact that the lecturers would always say "you don't need to be that good at drawing" followed by "make sure you draw things clearly and accurately". Well that's me **** then!

midlifecrashes

These are surprisingly good for the price

Intel QX3

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I can't believe you're in a Geology Dept. that doesn't have access to this kind of kit.

walla24
    Free Member

well they probably do but getting them to let you use it is the trouble, going to badger my tutor on monday

walla24
    Free Member

don't suppose anyone has been to Wadi Faynan, Jordan?

nickjb
    Free Member

Maplin sell a usb microscope camera for about £30. We use them at work and pictures are pretty good.

Bro-Bra
    Free Member

Scan it at very high resolution with a decent flatbed scanner and then blow up the pic.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Just draw them,they only have to be representative, not perfect..stop being lazy. That's what you'll need to do in exams/assigments…and it sounds like you need the practice.

zaskar
    Free Member

USB microscope.

What mag are you looking for? Your lecturers will be able to tell you!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any geologists in the house? rock content!’ is closed to new replies.