Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any galaxy S owners running Darky's rom.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If so what version and what sort of battery life are you getting.? I went from 8.1 to 10.1 yesterday and the battery life has dropped by about a third. Great rom but shite battery consumption.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm no, still on 2.3.3..

I’m a luddite..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What’s the battery life like.?

Toasty

Using Darkys 10.1 final here, and really impressed! I used 9.5 before which was fairly similar but 10.1 is a bit tidier and built around 2.3.3.

Battery life wise, I turn off GPS and wifi most of the time, and leave it connecting only to GSM networks. The battery is less than 1% per hour, while idle. It’s made it 3+ days on the trot without being charged.

Very pleased with it! The old stock 2.1 rom was rubbish, I used to take my G1 everywhere as the battery and stability was so much better.

No real downsides I can think of, everything still works (which is important as I develop on it at work), 9.5 had a better alarm clock sound.. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Racist.

Toasty

One thing, check the battery usage and see where it’s being used? In “Settings/About phone/Battery Use”. Assuming it’s idling it should be mainly display, followed by cell idle.

What apps are you running on it? I know Google Listen for example utterly slaughters the battery life as it looks for new streams all the time.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My battery life on 2.3.3 is far better than 2.1, I’m getting now about 1 1/2 days before charging, in 2.1 mode it was about a day..
    I turn off GPS and Wireless (not required at work and the GPS is only used when in Endomondo mode or maps etc.) then I expect about 2 days, if GPS and Wireless on then it’s 1 1/2 or slightly less.
    If I stream music (radio etc.) via download (which I do whilst commuting on my bike) then that’ll drain the battery a little more, but not too much really, and to be expected. Video stuff’ll suck out the battery too so I kinda only use that for Utube streams. The biggest drain is playing games like Angry Birds & stuff
    Music playing through PowerAmp is little drain considering the Apps output, I’ve loaded my phone with masses of photos and music and it’s been great so far.
    I can get a full 10hrs if I use Endomondo though, whilst this is a great App I think the “low power mode” in it ought to be on full time, but really that’s not too bad a drain if riding all day.
    Navigations a sucker, if used in the car then the battery will give out after about 4 hours, but I’ve an in car charger, if walking/riding the streets of a city for example then I’ll take a fully charged spare battery with me “just in case”
    Apps so far:
    Endo
    PowerAmp – amazing graphic EQ
    AngryBirds
    AudioManager
    Dictionary
    Conversion Calculator
    Google Sky
    Kies Air
    SunDroid
    Recipes
    Sky+
    CoffeeFinder
    Translate
    Itorent
    Zedge
    LittlePhoto
    OSAtlas
    TuneInRadio
    MagicSeaweed
    Slooh

I’ve looked at rooting and whilst I’m capable of doing such I think I’ll just leave my phone alone, it’s good enough for me.

A couple of pointers.. Always back up your phone and get the latest firmware upgrades, download your photos and music as soon as “just in case”

Kies is slighty unstable (but way better than before) so sync’ing can take a couple of attempts, but hey.. Kies Air is the light version and recommended for quick backups via wireless..

I’ll probably get an S2 later in the year purely cos’ of the flash in the camera and theres a little more memory etc.

retro83
    Free Member

Looks like stock 2.3.4 is out, think I’ll wait for Darky to mod that so the (few) 2.3.3 issues will (hopefully) be resolved.

Plus JVP seems to have a better tuned JIT compiler and a few other niceties.

Good news that they’re at least sorting the last few issues on the S.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any galaxy S owners running Darky's rom.?’ is closed to new replies.