Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any fun trails very close to Epsom?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Morning all,

I’ve changed job roles recently and have gone from cycle commuting into central London 2-3 days per week to mostly working from home, so I’ve decided to try and keep my pizza over-indulgence in check by riding some circular rides in the morning instead.

I’ve got a couple of routes between 17 to 25 miles starting from home in West Ewell, riding out through Epsom common, up onto the Downs through Ashtead and across to Mogador, but whilst it nails the fitness aspect nicely, there’s really not much in the way of adrenaline!

Question is, then, am I missing out on anything fun?

I’m not after anything free ride levels of difficulty; something like Telegraph Road or the Yoghurt Pots on Holmbury would be a dream scenario, but those actual trails are too far to either ride to or drive to before work, so hoping for anything closer to home.

Example of my current 17 mile route here >>> https://www.strava.com/activities/979330390

akira

Bike beans cafe in Ashtead does some mtb rides which show you some of the bits around box hill etc. Follow them on facebook.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Behind the Nationwide perchance?

simon_g

This used to be my usual evening loop: Strava linky . There’s a local riding group that I can’t remember the name of, most of that route was on their website with a few others.

Nothing super technical but I used to really like how much of a ride I could do from my door on bridleways or really quiet lanes.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Simon, that route is pretty much the same as my midweek evening loop.
    Kermit, There’s not much fun stuff around there, there are a couple of hidden trails around Headley heath and Box Hill if you know where to look or do some Strava stalking.
    Also a few fun short trails on Esher Common and some jumps built by the kids, I ride regularly around that area midweek evenings, and I’m on Strava, just sent you a follow request, my routes should help you out. You might have to go back a month though as not been out much for a few weeks due to some family issues.

tonyg2003

If you head up from Epsom race course past the RAC club and over to Mickleham downs there are 5-6 really good trails over that way. Not really any further than Mogodor but much, much better.

swanny853

Mickleham downs was my first suggestion too. Plenty at the dorking end of ranmore too

kermit
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Ranmore is a bit far, but Mickleham is certainly more of a possibility.

I’ve also pinged Bike Beans on Facebook to see if there’s an MTB ride this Tuesday. Been out with them a few times a few years back, but I’ve never been much good at finding trails again on my when I’ve been following someone else! Still, Strava and other tools this time round to help with that. 🙂

tonyg2003

Give us over on the MuddyMoles website a message. Some of our guys live over in Epsom and you might find someone to show you around (we ride Wednesday evenings). I’m out all week but if not I can show you some of the trails next weekend.

akira

Yeah I used to do the bike beans Tuesday night ride but everything looks different in the daytime so I’d invariably get lost.

swanny853

Ah, it is you Tony. I did wonder. OP, muddy moles are a great group to ride with, they even put up with me from time to time

bubs

Mickleham downs and Headley. The fun stuff is a lot less hidden than it used to be and they are a great warm up for Ranmore.

muddyground
    Free Member

You’re just not looking hard enough…..

kermit
    Free Member

I went out with Bike Beans on Tuesday, which sorted out nicely. Lots of stuff I’d not ridden before over towards Esher and Oxshott. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any fun trails very close to Epsom?’ is closed to new replies.