Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any eye docs in the house?
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

Had an Optomap done because of a dark spot on my retina. I have no concurrent vision loss or anything….

anyway I saw the images….and because I read far to many random medical textbooks because of my field of work…. I recognized it as being a Choroidal Nevus. I’m being referred to an ophthalmologist but the optometrist won’t tell me why or what she thinks it is….

Can these things appear out of nowhere? as it wasn’t there in July? Basically, I’m worried it’s a melanoma…..as much as the ‘evidence based medicine’ part of me hates to admit it…. I have bad luck….eg I once got hit by a falling Oak tree in August….then nearly got hit by lightning the next day….statistical chance of that happening = practically zero….still happened to me….as with a lot of things that have happened to me with the exception being winning the lottery.

Whenever someone talks to me about odds…this is now my reaction :mrgreen:

bwaarp
    Free Member

Bump….anyone?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Of the 3422 eyes with choroidal nevus, 63 (2%) were in young patients, 795 (23%) in mid-adults, and 2564 (75%) in older adults.

Kind of found what I was looking for. That would indicate that they can pop up throughout life, just a bit worried it wasn’t there before and it’s taken 6 months for one to develop.

theboatman
    Free Member

I once got hit by a falling Oak tree in August…

Is the fact it was in August statistically relavent?

bwaarp
    Free Member

probably….because it was a nice and hot sunny day in a particularly calm August – with no wind what so ever.

theboatman
    Free Member

Wasn’t last August then…

bwaarp
    Free Member

No. I don’t have Alzheimer’s yet.

geoffj

Went through the same thing with my mum last year. She’s a diabetic so has regular eye tests. Once of the tests picked something up and she was referred by her GP to a consultant in Liverpool – fearing the worst.
    Spent a morning at The University Hospital eye department and went from drops > images > consultant over a couple of hours. Turned out it that it’s a mole that has recently appeared – go to go back in 12 months for a checkup.

Happy Days!

Good luck with yours.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Thanks mate, you guys are awesome.

Hugely appreciated. I’ll do my best to answer any questions you post on here in future to show my appreciation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Any eye docs in the house?’ is closed to new replies.