Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any experiences with Ti Rotor Bolts?
  • MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Having just rounded out a bolt while trying to remove a disc rotor* I’m considering going for some Ti ones – anyone got any good or bad experiences of them – I know Hope and Nukeproof do some as do Superstar. Are they any better when it comes to removing them?

* Using the proper tool and everything for once – the bolt rounded out due to my nicely fitting torx bit eating the metal rather than turning the bolt as it appears to be rusted/bonded/superglued to the thread. I’m really not all that strong so I’m guessing the bolt is made of cheese.

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t ti bolts round easier then normal ones?

njee20
    Free Member

Ti bolts are softer than steel, so yes, more prone to rounding. They’re fine if you’re not ham fisted though! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Prevention – copaslip / grease / threadlock to prevent the bolts seizing

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yeah, ti are a lot softer than steel, a decent torx tool is what you need

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Well its out anyway – dremeled a slot into it and got it out, seems like the issue was a lack of slip/threadlock – the other eleven all had visible threadlock on them while this one is clean, the rotors have been on the bike since new so i guess this bolt didn’t get coated properly at assembly.

What is the point of Ti then? Please tell me its not weight saving because it must be about 2g difference.

RealMan
    Free Member

Weight saving.

tragically1969
    Free Member

It’s weight saving

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, weight saving. It saves about 10-15g over steel.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Just in case you needed a second, second opinion, it’s weight saving 😀

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Weight saving and they don’t corrode.
    I swapped my torx rotor bolts for allen head instead!

martymac

2g is 2g.
    plus you get to tell people you have ti bolts.
    coz they wont notice.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Galvanic corrosion and a 15g saving that gets eaten by the amount of slip i’ll inveitably add to prevent it versus steel that will cost less but will need a similar quantity of coating to make sure i don’t have to use powertools next time i want to faff with the wheel. Centerlock suddenly seems so sensible.

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Weight saving? Dream on…profit.

I use hex head mudguard bolts and grease.

No. Issues. Ever.

njee20
    Free Member

You can’t really deny that there’s a weight saving. It may be small, but it’s there. They’re 1/2 the weight of steel ones, saving 50% the weight on every individual component adds up, strangely to 50% the weight of the bike!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any experiences with Ti Rotor Bolts?’ is closed to new replies.