• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any experiences of KCNC kit or scandium?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just spotted some fairly light & cheap (relatively) scandium kit made by KCNC. Anyone use the skewers/bars/jockey wheels?

peteimpreza

the jockey wheels are shite. Bearings are very poor and will seize up very quickly.

oxym0r0n

I have a KCNC Seat post I got off here 2nd hand – very very light (compared to my Thomson), ti hardware, a bit more flexy so a bit more comfortable. All good so far…

No experience of skewers/bars/jockey wheel tho' so not that helpful!

tazzymtb

had no issues with the jockey wheels with heavy use in cannocks kit eating filth so i think they're ok

PJ266
    Free Member

Got some of their scandium riser bars, theyre grrrrrrrrrrrrreat. 710mm wide, 238g.

Not worried about their strength in the slightest.

nockmeister
    Free Member

the jockey wheels are shite. Bearings are very poor and will seize up very quickly.

Thanks fella, just about to bid on some on the bay, I'll forget now

robhughes
    Free Member

got the jockey wheels and the spot on.they,ve never missed a beat.would highly recommend them.
    did peteimpreza get some blag ones.?

nonk
    Free Member

i have some red ones that are about a year old and doing fine.

aracer
    Free Member

I've got some of the skewers on my roadie – they work fine on that, but I wouldn't use them on a MTB.

chopperT
    Free Member

KCNC jockey wheels are excellent, BUT they need to be modified to get the best from them. The top hat/dust cover pair that supports the bearing also allows a certain amount of axial float in the pulley, like the floating guide pulley on all Shimano derailleurs, however, this prevents the dust sheild from doing its job and preventing moisture/dirt from reaching the bearing seal. Trick is to lap/file/machine material from the tophat inner faces, so that the bearing is held correctly by the shoulders of the inner race, and no longer floats. This will allow the dust sheild to do it's thing and the bearing cannot spin on the tophat. Also, generously smear the return on the inside of the D/S with grease to keep water and dirt from contacting the seal.

You must also make sure that the bearing has been fitted centrally in the pulley (flush both sides). None of mine have been right "out of the box".

This has given me excellent bearing life both on and off road, and the elimination of the axial float in the guide pulley gives a really positive shift though it still waits for the ramps. However, as there is no "compensation" your indexing/alignment must always be spot on.

Sum
    Free Member

I've fitted a pair of the KCNC ceramic bearing jockey wheels this time last year. No probs and they still look good.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

My Morvelo team mates covered their bikes in the great looking and crazy light KCNC kit: bars, posts, cranks, bar ends. They hammered them around race courses all year and clocked up big trail mileage in between and had zero issues except an insanely light bike!

Marge
    Free Member

I have bars, stem & derrie wheels.
    All have been without problem till now.
    They have only done maybe 1000km but at XC kind of speed so they've certainly been tested.

onandon
    Free Member

I currently use the jockey wheels ,seat post and skewers of my road bike and XC bike with no issues at all.
    it's great stuff and a bargain if you find the right seller.
    the only negative product was the road brakes,at 150g for the pair you can understand why they flex.
    when the XTR crank finally goes I'll be using a KCNC on the XC bike, its half the price and half a pound lighter.

Great stuff

DT78
    Free Member

So where is the best place to buy thier kit? Ebay seems to be mainly international sellers. Any uk stockists you;d recommend?

br
    Free Member

there is a place on the welsh border, just north of Brum – sorry forget their name – they are dealers, or were

onandon
    Free Member

I think Clee are the Uk agent but I tend to buy direct or from e-bay.

Seamus
    Free Member

Google clee cycles they stock KCNC

rob2
    Free Member

hi, no probs here on mtbs

Stems x3 – all less than 100g, no issues.

Cranks – fine bb and wear rate

Skewers – use on my hardtail, no issues so far but often worry!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any experiences of KCNC kit or scandium?’ is closed to new replies.