Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any experience using HMC Money Claim Online for non-arriving classifieds goods?
  • mattjng
    Free Member

I bought a mech and shifter of the classifieds 3 weeks ago now. It has not turned up and the seller has stopped answering e-mails, so I think I have to accept I may have been scammed and try to get the money back.
    I know he is still answering e-mails because someone else i know asked him questions about other goods he was selling after he had stopped talking to me and he was still answering.

Fortunately I have his address and I was looking into the Small claims court, which threw up a link to Her Majesty’s Courts Service Money Claim Online.

Has anyone had to resort to using this or got any experience of it? I have no idea how much legal authority it holds, but as far as I can see it will cost me £30, and considering the items cost me £70, I should at least get something back.

RS4KEV

I’ve had to use it through work a few times, seems the arrival of the court documents has the desired effect. Assume you have the sellers address to serve it to? I’d send a recorded letter first saying you want goods or refund by a certain date or you’ll take legal action and hold seller responsible for costs. Might want to enclose a picture of a set of bombers too 👿

geoffj

Surely you should add the fee onto the total. You shouldn’t be out of pocket.

mattjng
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I had not even thought about adding the costs, but you are right.

I will start with a letter then and see if I can avoid escalating it.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

out of interest how did you find their address. I presume they didn’t provide it?

mattjng
    Free Member

I got a friend to enquire about buying some forks they were selling and offer to post a cheque.

It is all so simple which is why I am a little hesitant to go down the legal route because if it is a scam, he is a very stupid scammer. He even offered collection for items, so something just does not sit right.

If I was getting answers to my e-mails then I would be less concerned but I am being completely ignored.

toys19
    Free Member

3 weeks is probably just crapness/laziness, wasnt me was it?

You should write to him (registered post) politely giving him 7 days to deliver or refund. Then moneyclaim online including all your costs..

Was this paypal BTW? As they do cover for item not received, as long as it wasnt gift..

mattjng
    Free Member

It wasn’t you, no, unless you have another forum name!

It may be crapness and that is what I assumed it was first of all.
    He said he sent it 3 weeks ago and so I asked if he had any proof, or who he sent it with so I can chase up where it has got to, but he then went silent.

I have no problem with it being crapness if that is the case, I will happily wait if I knew that was the case, but he is just silent. I now have the rest of a new build and I just wanted to know if I needed to source a mech from somewhere else or hold out for a bit longer.

It was a bank transfer unfortunately, so no Paypal cover.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Used Money Claim On Line website to recover my fees from a private patient who didn’t cough-up. It holds absolute legal authority as it is the website of the courts service. In my case she didn’t even reply to any court documents so they then sent the bailiffs round. All these expenses were added to the amount owed and were fully recovered. Wouldn’t hesitate to use it again. You just need to be sure of the name & address of the person you need them to serve the documents to.

mattjng
    Free Member

Gasman, thanks, that sounds just what I need. I will send a letter first as suggested above and then if nothing move on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That reminds me festival republic still owe me £400!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any experience using HMC Money Claim Online for non-arriving classifieds goods?’ is closed to new replies.