Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)
  • Any English people on here who moved to North Wales or Scotland?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I was in your position terra, I’d be looking for somewhere around Penrith area, lots of nice wee villages, a bit cheaper than in the lakes or Dales, but near enough to be riding there all the time.

I love the lakes.

gordimhor

The sun does shine on Kinlochleven just not between Nov-Feb. 😀

geoffj

Im in Dundee today and its like Mallorca Magaluff 15° and sunny take back all i said about the place

mt
    Free Member

@epicsteve. “You suspect”, good for you.

dragon
    Free Member

Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire as its home but its lost its lustre recently with the oil bust.

Don’t forget the SNP government forgetting it exists and moving everything down to the central belt.

Because as cyclists wind is annoying you might like this map of the UK.

epicsteve
    Free Member

@epicsteve. “You suspect”, good for you.

Thanks. My English mother lived in Scotland for 20+ years and rarely encountered any of that sort of bollocks so while I know that sort of thing does sometimes happen (about as often as anti-Scottish sentiment in England I suspect) I very, very much doubt it’s that regular.

I live in England and have a Scottish accent (English mother/Scottish father) and really haven’t encountered much in the way of racism – unless you count the very regular conversations that start with “That Nicola Sturgeon..” and then spin out into some very, very uneducated bollocks relating to why said person voted for Brexit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t forget the SNP government forgetting it exists and moving everything down to the central belt.

Someone’s been reading the daily mail.

dragon
    Free Member

Hardly Police call centers are to be shut in Aberdeen and Inverness, in 2017, that’s actually a delay on the original plan. All work to be handled by the central belt. Similarly the Fire service call centers in those two locations are going in 2017 to be replaced by Dundee. And there are still concerns about the status of the Aberdeen Major Trauma Centre.

And lets not forget this great SNP quote: “The member just mentioned a crisis in the jobs in the North Sea and oil. There is no crisis.”

Not that this would affect anyone moving to the Borders or North Wales mind.

bigjim

Don’t worry there’s jack all jobs in the central belt these days either!

Rainfall, a picture paints a thousand blah

seosamh77
    Free Member

The rain is fine in Glasgow, youse just need to man up!

It’s dry about 2/3rd of the time, so youse can take yer negativity and ram it! 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

The rain is fine in Glasgow, youse just need to man up!

It’s dry about 2/3rd of the time, so youse can take yer negativity and ram it!

And, as you can see, the people in Glasgow are also very friendly! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 you do need to get to understand the nuances of the language, that’s for sure.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

edinburgh – average rainfall 700mm / year 120 days with rain and 1400 hrs sunshine
    London – 550 mm rain, 105 rainy days, 1400 hrs sunshine
    Manchester 870 mm rain. 150 rainy days, 1350 hrs sunshine
    Cardiff 1150mm rain 150 rainy days, 1550 hrs sunshine

http://www.climatedata.eu/climate.php?loc=ukxx0052&lang=en
    http://www.climatedata.eu/climate.php?loc=ukxx0092&lang=en

184 rainy days in manchester
    191 in Edinburgh
    its colder and 100 hours less sunshine. in Edinburgh too.

tjagain

I took my data from the met office!

Your data is certainly wrong – it does not rain more than half the days of the year in edinburgh and its certainly a lot less than manchester. I lived a decade in manchester and 2 decades in Edinburgh

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Plus 201 rainy days in Glasgow (same source)

Makes you think, when “unreliable sources” tell us that there are more rainy days in Manchester than Glasgow doesnt it!!

Facts, who needs them. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

there are a number of sites with the same 191 days rain data, but no reference.

However, the Royal Botannical Gardens Edinburgh have their own weather station.

Data is available here:
    http://www.rbge.org.uk/science/plants-and-climate-change/edinburgh-weather-station

more relevantly, their extract “Some curiosities from the RBGE Inverleith weather station:
    Data analyses from 1 January 1976 to 31 December 2014. “

http://www.rbge.org.uk/assets/files/science/Weather/InverleithCuriosities2014.pdf

States:

Days with no rain 41.1%
    Days with 0.2mm or more 51.2%
    Days with 1mm or more 36.0%
    Days with 5mm or more 14.0%

Depending on your personal definition of “rain day”, it suggests that IF rain days are consistently seasonally distributed* over the 38 yrs of the data set, that 214 days a year have “some” precipitation.

* and they may well not be, there may have been 4 yrs in the 70s in which it never stopped raining which will skew the data, unless they really do mean that in an average year, only 41% of days are dry….

Not forgetting that a day is 24hrs, and many incidents of precipitation will have been overnight. TJ may well be right anecdotally (with bias, natch) and statistically wrong at the same time, but they may not really be inconsistent depending on definitions.

bigjim

184 rainy days in manchester
    191 in Edinburgh
    its colder and 100 hours less sunshine. in Edinburgh too.

I don’t think that website is based on real observations, in fact it appears to have no sources at all and only exists as an advertising vessel, you’d be better off at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/

tjagain

Which is where I got my data from iirc

gordimhor

Learn to love thole the rain

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Plus 201 rainy days in Glasgow (same source)

201 days is a nonsense, must be an incredibly low bar for amount in a day at that!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know stats and experts – who needs then 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Maybe so, but they still need to qualify their results, what the minimum mm for a day classed as having precipitation? Genuinely interested.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be going to Scotland, all they seem to do is argue about the weather and whose stats are the best. 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No idea 😉

Probably says on the site somewhere

epicsteve
    Free Member

Ok – not scientific, however I have homes in Edinburgh and London and have done for a few years. I’d have said London gets less rain, but not by much – and neither gets a stupid amount of rain. London is a bit warmer on average though.

sweepy
    Free Member

Do you know what- If you are that bothered about a bit of rain I don’t think Scotland is for you. I love the place but it’s not for the scorchio weather.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Terrahawk has probably lost the will to live move

terrahawk
    Free Member

thanks for all the responses so far.
    Anyone live in or near New Galloway? 😉

matt_outandabout

I used to.

Nice little spot, the drive down the loch back to Castle Douglas or Trool way is a pain after a while, but there are worse and further roads to travel. Going north from there really was a long old way from memory. A good few ‘off-comers’ who made the place a little less local/inward looking than some of the other places locally.

Pub is ace, infamous for it’s lock in’s. I may stop for tea tonight there…

I used to work at the Sailing Centre – great folk and lovely spot.

terrahawk
    Free Member

sounds ideal. cheers.

terrahawk
    Free Member

anyone on here live in Newton Stewart?
    Looking possibly – likely – ish.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmmm… I wouldn’t, it’s a bit backwatery/wickerman/duelling banjos…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hmmmm… I wouldn’t, it’s a bit backwatery/wickerman/duelling banjos…

Oooft!
    It must be REALLY bad if the Ayrshire big team are accusing you of being inbred hillbillys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

matt_outandabout

anyone on here live in Newton Stewart?

Again, know of the place after living at Kirkcudbright.
    I was also there on Friday….

As said, it still feels like a locals place rather than tourist led. Like Kirkcudbright and a little like Castle Douglas, it has a few resources/supermarket/places/amenities there which helps.

Careful where you live there – the river floods to a frankly unbelievable level at times.

Being further out west, its a looooong drive north on Ayrshire coast of A75 back East to civilisation.

If I was looking in the area again, Kirkcudbright would be top of my list. Mainly as the Masonic on Friday night was just ace to sit and sink a pint in again…

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Woohoo!……… High six, Uncle Dad!!”

matt_outandabout

😀

Nah, that is Stranraer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

“Woohoo!……… High six, Uncle Dad!!”

The Shire riviera, where you manky bastards go yer holidays! 8)

perchypanther
    Free Member

We canny afford holidays*……on account of being manky bastards. 😉

*not strictly true. As you well know, I choose to spend my holidays in rural Dumfries and Galloway.
    Better class of slack jawed yokel down there dontcha’ know.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘Any English people on here who moved to North Wales or Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.