• This topic has 41 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by joefm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Any enduro/gnarpoon bargains?
  • julians
    Free Member

Hi all,

A friend is on the hunt for a new bike to replace his trusty 2010 Specialized enduro.

Key requirements :-

– ~160mm travel
    – Long,low,slack
    – must have dropper post, 1 x gearing, decent forks/shock, decent brakes.
    – Does not want to be making major changes to the spec after purchase, ie buy and forget.
    – reliable, good aftersales support (should it be required)
    – does not have to be carbon fibre – alu is fine.

Anyone aware of any last years bikes being sold off, or any other bargains.

Budget £2500-£3000 – but if the above can be achieved with less, then great.

I am reluctant to recommend the Canyons or YT’s due to the shocking aftersales and reliability concerns.

edited to add – must be a complete bike, he doesnt want to be messing around building it, and I’m not building it for him.

tmb467
    Free Member

Aeris – simple

andyl
    Free Member

If he can accept 150mm rear travel then Bird Aeris fits most of that as you can pretty much pick what you want (as long as 160mm Pike forks are okay) and won’t have to change anything, excellent company to deal with too and transferable warranty. (just building up mine after popping over this weekend for a frameset)

chakaping
    Free Member

Not the best time of year for bargains.

Maybe this with £300 off via BC discount…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-sommet-pro-suspension-bike-2016/rp-prod135388

How big is he?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s only a bargain if it fits and suits you otherwise it’s just a cheap bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

If he’s not tall or a weight weenie, this is possibly the most fun enduro bike going…
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/74808/Kona_Process_153_2015_Bike

Could upgrade to XT 1×11 at purchase.

julians
    Free Member

It would need to suit someone 5foot 11 inches,so I think those konas are out. Nice bike though, would’ve been a decent recommendation.

Aeris is a good option as well.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Rose Unle Jimbo on that budget. He can finesse the spec and the cost. U.K. Rep, great reviews.

Northwind

Is he tied to a wheelsize? Maybe a bit leftfield but check out the BMC Trailfox range at Evans. 29er, 150/160mm, good sizing (I put an angleset in mine because I’m a slackbike fetishist but it’s pretty on-trend as standard)…

The all-alu frame is a bit of a lump tbh but the carbon and half-carbon can also come into this budget. They used to be too expensive and the cheaper ones had really iffy specs (not bad parts, just chosen for price not suitability) but this year’s are much better. Though the colours are, um… challenging? They also have some of last year’s on big discounts.

Everyone knows 29ers are boring and can’t do corners:
    https://www.facebook.com/jacobgibbins/videos/10156750110635273/
    2 of these in the top 10 at EWS Argentina

tymbian
    Free Member

Bird Aeris..

chakaping
    Free Member

These are supposed to be coming next month, the CR model looks tremendous value and smartly specced – would just want a seatpost upgrade…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-vitus-sommet-carbon-enduro-mountain-bike.html

gaidong
    Free Member

It does sound very much as though you’ve described a Bird Aeris (excepting 150 mm rear travel). In the Alps with mine right now :D. With your budget you could get a blinding spec.

funkweasel
    Free Member

+1 for Aeris

thebees
    Free Member

Bird Aeris.
    Or Commencal Meta V4.

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all, some good suggestions there.

The commencal Meta AM V4 Race rockshox looks decent value for money (if £3k for a pushbike can ever be considered good value for money)

I have also proposed a mondraker dune R, specialized enduro elite 29/650b, orbea rallon x10, GT sanction expert.

Steve77
    Free Member

Canyon and YT are so good and so cheap though that with anything else you’re paying a huge premium for after-sales support which you probably won’t need. I’d rather keep £500-£1000 spare out of the £3,000 budget to rent a bike or replace parts should I need to send anything back. Look how much bike you get if you buy the cheapest Capra vs. the Aeris.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Check out Freeborn Bikes -sale devinci

Some excellent deals on the Spartan Carbon XP and SX on there. Massively capable bikes by all accounts – I know a mate who rides for Freeborn who has raced his for DH while waiting for that seasons Wilson so good down as well as up!

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I gotta well someone has to say it, DAMN those Birds are munters!

I would also be taking a looksee at those Devincis.
    Always seemed ahead in one way or another and I even think they’ve gone carbon for most if not all of their range.
    They also seem to look like reet killer deals on Freeborn’s site.

julians
    Free Member

Those devincis look a bit old fashioned when compared to the current long,low,slack trend. Plus they appear pretty heavy for a carbon bike,and some reviews say they have odd suspension characteristics which makes them a bit ‘bobby’ if pedalling out of the saddle. I could be wrong as I haven’t ridden one,but on paper they don’t appeal to me.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Have a look at the Saracen Ariel’s.

I have one and love it, very versatile.

johnny

The Devincis do have adjustable geometry, so make sure you look at the numbers in ‘low’ setting. The are a bit heavy for carbon, as they have a pretty robust aluminium rear triangle. bear in mind they have a lifetime frame warranty though- I’ve not looked into the small print, but i was reassured by Freeborn people that it does mean ‘lifetime’…?

Not a gnarpoon, but i have an Atlas, and it rides very confidently downhill, despite the ‘steeper’ angles.

honourablegeorge

Specs on those Devincis are pretty basic though.

wrecker
    Free Member

I may have something (very nice) of interest, drop me a line thegeneralwreckerATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

Leku
    Free Member
    preciousmetals
    Free Member

I thought it was a bike for a mate not yourself, it doesn’t have to surely appeal to you.

sprocker
    Free Member

Orbea rallon x10 – £3099 and you can get a bit off at some dealers

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

That Devinci Spartan Carbon SX – is X1 11sp throughout with Guide Brakes, Pike RC dual air, Monarch RC3 Debonair, and stealth reverb.

Not bad for £1600 of retail. Ok the Jalco Rims on Formula Hubs might not be the pimpest wheels but the rest of the spec is pretty good for change out of £3K.

fergal
    Free Member

How did he get on with his 2010 Enduro.

julians
    Free Member

I thought it was a bike for a mate not yourself, it doesn’t have to surely appeal to you.

He’s asked me for my recommendations, I wouldnt look at the devinci myself , therefore I’m not going to recommend it to him either.

How did he get on with his 2010 Enduro

loved it.BUt I get the impression he fancies trying a different brand, even still I have suggested a 2015 enduro elite – as I dont think you can beat them for value for money.

Orbea rallon x10 – £3099 and you can get a bit off at some dealers

where have you seen an x10 for £3099? cheapest I could find on a quick search was £3199?

dknwhy
    julians
    Free Member

Radon swoop 170?

looks killer value for money, but is it any good? couldnt find any reviews in a quick search.

julians
    Free Member

On second look the devinci looks interesting, but all the reviews comment on how much it bobs when pedalling out of the saddle, not sure whether its going to be a pig on the climbs, and the fact that it comes as standard with super gravity tyres kind of implies it may be a touch too downhill focussed, maybe?

Looks good value for money though, cant deny that.

sprocker
    Free Member

Orbea Rallon, Maybe 3199 but Bike Active did me 10% off on credit so 2800 ish may even get less for cash.

ryan91
    Free Member

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/m/product.php?CI_ID=20613 – lapierre zesty 827 with £1500 off in probably the right size ? That would be so tempting having enjoyed a go on a lesser version.

chrismac

Spesh enduro. The way they are being discounted can only mean a new one is imminent so bargains to be had

frogstomp

That Propain Tyee CF is in the ballpark and sounds like a very interesting proposition!

hugh_b
    Free Member

I had a spartan for a while until I had to sell due to a house move. Having had a transition patrol and specialized Enduro I can honestly say it was the best bike I’ve had for the downs. I rode it in la Thuile and it was nearly as quick as the tr500 I took out there the year before!
    They climb just fine and grip really well. The one thing you’ll notice is how plush they are. Really a very good bike.

I’m looking around myself at the moment and it’s on the list but also looking at other brands such as transition and nukeproof. The only thing that puts me off the Spartan slightly is the geometry. I’m just over 6ft and had an xl to get the reach and effective top tube I wanted, not a massive issue as the standover is ok but worth considering.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Incidentally further Devinci bargains here:[/url]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Any enduro/gnarpoon bargains?’ is closed to new replies.