Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any employment Law Experts on here? Reduced working hours and redundancy
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Right,

Basically the company I work for is experiencing hard times as is most of the industry we are in.

So two weeks ago monday whole company meeting to warn that there is a likely hood of redundancies and reduced working hours (I was not in attendance due to hospital appointment).

Last tuesday bosses start calling people in and telling them they are being made redundant.

Friday people walk from jobs having been made redundant.

So we have had the round of redundancies and the rest of us have been put on a reduced working week. 4 days rather than 5.

Now I haven’t been individually consulted or asked if I want to work 4 days. In fact I haven’t formally been told im on a 4 day week other than my boss telling me in passing that its starting as of the 1st March i.e. yesterday.

Im pretty sure there should have been some consultation regarding the reduction of working hours and associated paycut.

But that is by the by.

Im trying to understand ‘Employment Law 1996’, where it suggests that if I have been working reduced hours for 4 consecutive weeks or 6weeks in a 13 week period I can give notice to be made voluntarily redundant.
    Does this a) still apply if redundancies have already been made in the company (prior to 4 day weeks) and b) in my situation or more precisely in 4 or 5 weeks time?

The reorganisation of the company means a change in working environment and style to which im not accustomed or keen on and I would quite like to jump ship and do something else however the extra cash would keep the wolves from the door for a few weeks.

Any guidance or help appreciated. Every thing feels a bit shit right now 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

they cannot change your T & C without consent /without a 60 day notice. Hours are clearly stated in your contract I assume. If they are making people redundant they need to use a fair and legal [ they can pretty much use what they want as criteria as long as it is objective] process. They cannot just tell people unless they explain what the criteria is they have used etc. i think they may need to do a 90 day notice as well if there are redundnacies.
    Technically you can refuse the reduced hours and then ask for VR if they dont offer it- which is definetly good practice to offer prior to compulsory anyway if not legally required- or walk and go for constructive dismissal.

geetee1972
    Free Member

i think they may need to do a 90 day notice as well if there are redundnacies.

Only if it’s more than 30 people in total that are being made redundant. Otherwise there is no need for a collective consultation process (which is what the 90 days relates to) but they do need to show that they thought about how else these people could be redeployed and how they were selected.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any employment Law Experts on here? Reduced working hours and redundancy’ is closed to new replies.