Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any electricians in?
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Currently decorating and swmbo wants to remove a couple of wall lights from the living room.
    At the moment the are controlled by a three way light switch ( ceiling, oposite wall and the wall where she wants them removed.
    Is it simply a case of disconecting the power for the said lights at the switch and replacing the 3 way switch with a 2 way and pushing the wires where the lights were into the cavity?
    Or is it time to call out the pros?
    Cheers.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just to clarify – there is only ONE 3 gang switch fitted?

lerk
    Free Member

No, you’ll need to work out where they connect to the loop and disconnect there as well.

nickjb
    Free Member

You’d need to be very sure that the cabling doesn’t supply power, or even a borrowed neutral or earth, to something else before just disconnecting and stuffing them in the walls. Not too tricky but does need to be done. Personally I’d try and find some wall lights that are acceptable as they can give a nice light.

robidoo
    Free Member

Yes there is only one 3 way switch, there is one switch at the other end of the room purely for the ceiling light.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If it was me – I’d just choccy block the tails and hang in cavity, then the same in switch box.
    Cover with new 2 way for ceiling light.
    You know damn well she’ll go “hmmm i want to move the sofa over there and need light for the new sideboard/table/picture/etc”

robidoo
    Free Member

Sounds like a plan hammy, you have my wife spot on I came home a while back and she was on with ripping the dado rails off.
    Leaving me to finnish the job of filling the holes,sanding and repainting… I’m supposed to be riding on my days off fgs!!! 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

3 way switch

3 switches in 3 locations controlling one (group of) outlet(s)
    (loads of wires)

2 way switch

2 switches in 2 locations controlling one (group of) outlet(s)
    (quite a few wires)

you mean a one way 3 gang switch panel, on which are three switches in one location switching 3x outlets.
    (not so many wires)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Fairly sure Stoner he has a 3 Gang 2 way – read his OP and subsequent post.
    The wall lights are only using the common and one side of the switch.
    Ceiling light is switched there and other side of the room so is two way.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont think so hammy:

ceiling, opposite wall and the wall where she wants them removed.

3x outlets. The last of which being the wall lights she wants removed (being on one of the switches on the 3 gang panel)

but only mention of one “the switch and replacing the 3 way switch with a 2 way”.

A 3-way switched supply entails lots of head scratching, you wouldnt replace with a “2 way”.

So, Id say, yes, he can terminate the wall light outlets and remove from the switched supply at the wall panel, replacing the 3gang switch with a 2gang switch since each of the outlets is only being switched by a single supply from one switch panel.

robidoo
    Free Member

Stoner there are two light switches in the room one has one switch that controls ceiling light, the other has three switches on for ceiling, opposite wall and the wall she wants removing.
    Hope that makes sense lol.

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s more info than the OP.

In which case you have a 1gang two-way for the ceiling, and probably a three gang one way at the other panel for the other outlets. One of the one way switches will be linked to the two way created by the other one gang switch.

As you are leaving the two way circuit alone, you can probably replace the 3gang one ways, with a two gang one way and isolate the conductors to the wall lights. IANAE, but I’d be surprised if there is anything more complicated going on than that.

robidoo
    Free Member

Cool thanks folks.

Stoner
    Free Member

but I’d be surprised if there is anything more complicated going on than that

and while I might only be surprised, you’ll be f******* shocked so dont forget to do any work safely, checking testing equipment with known lives etc 🙂

rwamartin
    Free Member

Take the two wall lights off the wall. There will likely be two cables into one of them and one into the other. If this is the case then the cables will be switched live only and this will be controlled from the switch, probably via a junction box in the ceiling void. They will be able to be poked back into the wall and will be safe.

Take the 3 gang switch off. Take a photo of the inside and post it here. I should be able to identify which bit needs disconnecting to make the wall lights dead.

Rich.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any electricians in?’ is closed to new replies.