Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any electrical experts in this evening? Mains universal adapter setting question
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve got a device which I want to power via the mains but that means buying the official adaptor. I have a universal mains adapter but am unsure which setting to use. Can you help?

I’ve got the polarity set correctly (i.e. as per the diagram on the device) so the questions are

1. Should I set the adapter to 9 or 7.5 V?
    2. What is the significance of the mA rating between device and adapter and is the difference an issue?

This is the spec of the device

This is the adapter

And these are the details on the adapter box

Thanks!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Won’t matter on that as both voltages have the same mAh rating on the adaptor.

richmars

I’d try setting to 7.5V first and see if it works. I’m not sure why is say two different voltages.
    Your mains adapter can supply 1100mA at 7.5 volts, so the 400mA your device needs isn’t a problem.

Usual warnings etc

imnotamused
    Free Member

Does that mean I can use it to power the device then?

EDIT: Ok, thanks richmars (and hammy but I didn’t understand your reply :lol:)

imnotamused
    Free Member

Sorted, didn’t work on 7.5V but did on 9V. Cheers.

tommytowtruck

What is the “device”?!

highclimber
    Free Member

What is the “device”?!

Mains powered rabbit

Cougar

You’ll definitely want the higher voltage, then.

pingu66
    Free Member

Mains powered rabbit

😯

Turns rabbit to STUN.

If I’m not there you can start without me I will be along in a minute!

coffeeking
    Free Member

The two ratings is a strange one! Never seen that before.

imnotamused : you have to match the voltage exactly (there’s a few exceptions but I wouldn’t recommend exploring them without knowing!) and ensure your adapter has AT LEAST the mA rating of the product at the specified voltage.

In this case, your pink object requires 9V potential to drive it and it will draw 300mA of current. So your adapter gets set to 9v and since it can provide 1100mA, it has capacity to spare and will be happy.

Have fun!

properbikeco
    Free Member

ditto the above, and also it is safer to start at the lower voltage ratings to begin with incase there is little protection circuitry in the device.

I see you also sorted the centre pin positive issue…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Cheers lol. I’m aware that it’s an interesting looking pink device, especially as the little pic on it shows someone very happy but wearing ‘phones to damp the noise…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any electrical experts in this evening? Mains universal adapter setting question’ is closed to new replies.