Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any Ebay experts – is this dodgy or just normal trading?
  • crashtestdougie
    Free Member

Just won the auction for some Technics decks on Ebay – seller contacted me and asked if I could Paypal the money to his email address, "to avoid the expensive Ebay final valuation costs".
    Now I know Paypal provides protection, and it definitely allows me to email to an address, so, my question is, is it safe?
    Ebay blurb says that if I trade outside of normal Ebay rules, I may not have the protection I need.
    Seller only has 4 feedbacks (all good though, and I guess we have to start somewhere).
    Do you think this is okay and he's just being a bit creative to avoid Ebay charges (if this happens, no feedback gets left – might explain why he only has 4!) or does it seem really dodgy?
    Problem is, I'm now a bit nervous of even paying him through the proper method – it is £500, and I do want to actually see the decks/mixer at some time in my life!

uplink
    Free Member

don't do it

EDIT: if he want to do that, ask if he'll ship the goods to you first

Gooner
    Free Member

i would nt do it
    however, if they are a real bargain you could offer to pay his costs and do it thro ebay

if nothing else you will soon find out if it is a scam as he will more than likely refuse your offer

organic355
    Free Member

damn i wish you were around when I sold my Technics on ebay!, £500!!!!, think I only got £300 ish for my set. youve been had* unless they are the new model with some other stuff thrown in?

*you can get a new set for £600.

B@rney
    Free Member

So did you REALLY win the auction or did he end the listing early? If you won the auction then you are safe via ebay, if he ended it early without talking to you regards payment its a bit dodgy. It does happen but communication normaly takes place before and thus all parties are happy with payment etc. Check the listing again and see what payment details he takes. If he takes paypal pay through the link.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

he has entered a contract and has to take a normal paypal payment and the costs are his issue not yours, either that or as above ask him to ship 1st if he wants to flout the rules!

stu-pid
    Free Member

If you won the auction then he'll still have to pay the final value fee regardless of how you pay so it doesnt make any sense!

crashtestdougie
    Free Member

Organic – no these are rare custom green sprayed mark 5s with usb mixer and blue LEDs, fully serviced by Technics, so I'm happy with the price.

Barney – no, it was won fair and square and all in correct time, in fact I've had paid for them by now only I needed to verify my Paypal account cos of how much I've spent this year – hence the resulting email conversation and his subsequent request. Normally I'd have paypaled there and then and so I don't think he'd have had the opportunity to ask.

trailmonkey

i wouldn't do that. 4 pieces of feedback is nothing. the seller knew the charges before the auction started which incidentally, amount to not a great deal. stand your ground and tell him how you want it done otherwise, let him whistle.

ps, got offered that job 😀

woody2000

How can he avoid the costs? If the auction's finished, doesn't he have to pay the FV costs whatever happens?

crashtestdougie
    Free Member

Dunno about the tecnicalities, but thanks folks, I've emailed him back and said proper route or nothing – just hope the proper route ends up okay!
    This was his email:
    Your welcome, one thing i will say is when the funds do become available can you pay by logging into paypal and go to the 'send money' tab to my email address-

This way i will avoid the costly final value fees that ebay enforce.
    Thankyou

jim
    Free Member

If you pay direct via paypal he can pretend the sale didn't go through to avoid the fees.

As others have said I'd ignore the request and pay through eBay.

wwaswas

use the pay button on ebay.

if you do send money you have no protection at all.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Agree with Woody2000 the auction has finished normaly he will pay the ebay fees whatever he does.

richpips
    Free Member

i wouldn't do that. 4 pieces of feedback is nothing

If he's only got 4 pieces of feedback, paypal will withold his funds until the buyer leaves positive feedback.

simon_g

The only way he'd avoid the final value fees is to tell ebay that you didn't want the item and pulled out. Result is a black mark against you, and no protection from Paypal if he fails to deliver on his side of the deal.

rich-6
    Free Member

Wouldnt do it TBH, The whole sale that is unless you are going to click 'Pay' in 'My e-bay'

Failing that collect in person with cash and make sure they work

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any Ebay experts – is this dodgy or just normal trading?’ is closed to new replies.