Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • any "easy" mtbing in UK? or does it all *have* to be technical
  • redfordrider
    Free Member

Glentress Red and Blue – wheels on the ground all the way as the ‘technical’ stuff is optional.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBF, I don’t think he said they were wrong to think of their riding as mountain biking, (or that there was anything wrong with that type of riding) just that many people wouldn’t recognise it as mountain biking. Subtle but crucial difference IMO.

Thank you! I wasn’t actually expressing an opinion on whether it was right or wrong as such.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Buy some maps: Forests are rammed full of gravel and hardcore fire/access roads. Just link these up with country lanes and bridleways. A carbon 29er with semi-slick tyres would be ideal.

continuity
    Free Member

There’s really very little that’s at all rough at Llandegla.

I love when people rag on the difficulty at degla. Here’s a tip; you’re not going fast enough.

Wait, unless you mean merely “rocky”, in which case there’s a tiny section before the bridge drop and nothing else and I eat my words (or rather, they don’t apply to you).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I love when people rag on the difficulty at degla. Here’s a tip; you’re not going fast enough.

Not ragging on it, it’s very tame – and ridden fast it’s still quite tame. Not saying you can’t crash etc. Not saying it’s not fun just it’s not that technical (and yes I’ve done the new stuff)

Only reasone I don’t always ride the HT there is that there were a couple of really rutted bits where some trees were cleared that make my back ache.

_tom_
    Free Member

Considering everyone goes on about Llandegla being a bmx track (still don’t get this – not enough jumps of a decent size!) I thought some parts were way bumpier than I thought they’d be. No it wasn’t Snowdon but still. Seems like it’s just loads of braking bumps, maybe it wasn’t like that to start with.

grum
    Free Member

Wait, unless you mean merely “rocky”, in which case there’s a tiny section before the bridge drop and nothing else and I eat my words (or rather, they don’t apply to you).

Time to eat your words then. I was just saying the surface is generally quite smooth. I really like Llandegla, was there on Saturday.

creamegg
    Free Member

From what i saw of it on youtube – YES. Would be absolutely perfect if it were about 5 – 10 times as long. Could do laps of it i suppose…

Thd FoD has a lot more to offer than just the marked trails. You could spend all day in the forest without seeing hardly anyone else and with enough forest to keep you exploring for a few days at least.

IHN

Cotswolds is full of what you’d love. Just needs to be not to wet…

He’s right you know

zippykona

Whenever I go to a trail centre I wonder is a track full of the tightest ,rootiest switchbacks really the holy grail of off roading?
    I like the swoopy stuff like the OP.
    When I started biking we marvelled at Hans Rey jumping from one bench to another. My bike skills have stayed in the eighties and are probably getting worse.
    I won’t ride the drop in at Barrys ,I always imagine another me coming the other way on singletrack and on one partictular climb I turn my light on as it is also a marvellous downhill and I can do without a head on.
    I’m definitely getting old and riding so I can ride tomorrow.

bonj
    Free Member

“There’s really very little that’s at all rough at Llandegla.”

llandegla is like heroin for people who get a kick out of jumps. If no sooner have you gone over one than you instantly need a “fix” of air again, from another one – then it’s great for you.. And another. And another .
    OK, have a few jumps, but llandegla is absolutely incessant.
    It would actually be the sort of trail that I like if it hadn’t been ruined by bowing to the commercial pressure of what most of the kids who go there want.

grum
    Free Member

There was loads of people there on Saturday, most of whom weren’t kids. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Maybe mountain biking really isn’t for you.

Very few trails I ride are my absolute perfect trail, but I still enjoy the vast majority of them.

_tom_
    Free Member

OK, have a few jumps, but llandegla is absolutely incessant.

It’s not. Even the section called JJ’s Jumps has a disappointingly small amount of jumps. And they’re all small. I’m still waiting for the UKs answer to Crank It Up though 😆

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Seconded about France – Tons of amazing trails, very few people and no access bullshit.

wrecker
    Free Member

Honestly? I’d just sack it if I were you because there’s not that much MTBing that we can be fussy. Most of us will ride DH trails, local hills/woods, trail centres, anything really and be thankful that it’s there.

Would be absolutely perfect if it were about 5 – 10 times as long. Could do laps of it i suppose…

Stick to the road.

mogrim

The mountains above Madrid are packed with trails like that, which TBH is what 90% of my MTBing is these days. Every now and then I go out with a different group to scare myself a bit 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘any "easy" mtbing in UK? or does it all *have* to be technical’ is closed to new replies.